Author Topic: What is a SIP?  (Read 6567 times)

WW3S

• View Profile
    • Email
What is a SIP?
« on: 2018-04-08, 20:20:52 »
getting ready to take the next step, hopefully programming via the web interface....since we will be using 2 pairs of 1258, and 2 IC-7100, should the programming values for pair 1 be different than pair 2? Or is the face we are using 2 different IP address combos enough?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: What is a SIP?
« Reply #1 on: 2018-04-08, 20:24:51 »
Each pair should use unique port numbers. That means that you need to change the second pair from
13000-13002 to something else (tip: just increment). The same goes for whatever web port you
changed the radio RRC's to.

Both systems can be addressed from the outside (i.e. SIP contact) using the same external IP number
or the same dynamicDNS address, since you only have one IP address and the ports determine where
the incoming request will be directed to.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WW3S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-04-08, 22:13:52 »
Thanks again Mitch......but these are all on an internal only network, no access from outside.....simply need to put the control heads in the 911 center, and the radio in shelter at the base of the tower...do we need all the web ports, etc if we are only accessing via a 10.10.10 network with no outside access...

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-04-08, 22:33:00 »
Then just ignore the web part and leave them at 80. I thought I had already written you that.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WW3S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2018-04-09, 02:16:35 »
yes, but what about the 13000/13002 ??? Do those need set on an internal only network? And if so, the two pairs need to different, correct?

WW3S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2018-04-09, 02:18:59 »
and, I guess back to the original question, what is a SIP? page 100 of the manual, with the SIP password and address, do I need to set those if not using web access?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2018-04-09, 04:06:55 »
I think we are going in circles, I answered that already. Maybe I am just not clear enough:

1) Each RRC needs a unique IP number. If you are not using a router, I would use the default
    subnet and just change the last part of the IP number for the second set. Using a Class A
    subnet is just adding additional unnecessary work and adding potential issues.

2) Each SET of RRC's needs its own set of three three UDP (SIP) ports. For example, one set uses
    13000, 13001 & 13002, the second one 13003, 13004 and 13005

3) If you are not addressing the radio RRC's from outside of the network, then you can leave all web
    ports at port 80.

If this is still not clear, then call me after 11 am EDT at 424-288-9171 and I will try to explain by phone.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WW3S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2018-04-09, 22:39:43 »
Thanks Mitch, I appreciate you taking my phone call. I suspect you are correct on the proxy server preventing access thru a web interface, I tried to turn it off, but since its a managed network managed by the county IT dept, I dont have admin privilges to turn it off.....so I have the units here at home now.....say I wanted to start from scratch, and change the IP addresses.....can I configure it here at home on a 192.168.1.XXX and when I take it back to our network at the county, will it work?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2018-04-09, 23:00:41 »
Hi Jamie,

Yes, I am sure that is the problem with your browsers. You were trying to use a proxy server that wasn't
there.

I am a bit concerned about the IP addresses. If the people there told you to use that address range, there
may be a reason for it. The 192.1.0.XXX range will work fine, but maybe they are managing the network.
Since you really didn't know, I can't say for sure either way.

To be on the safe side, move your normal PC at home to a temporary IP address on that 10.X.X.X address
range and see if you can configure the RRC's that way. You can do that by going to your ethernet card's
properties and double-clicking on IPv4. Then it offers a tab for a temporary IP address and you can use
the one you had on the PC at the center.

Then you should see the RRC's with Microbit Setup Manager and be able to configure them using your
browser. If not, you can move to plan B and go to the 192.168.0.XXX subnet.

Note that you must be on the same subnet either way to configure them using a browser. The default of the
RRC's is 192.168.0.XXX and you would also have to setup a temporary IP number for that subnet, unless
coincidentally your router at home assigns that subnet through its DHCP server.

If worse comes to worse and it still doesn't work, do the following: using Setup Manager, set the RRC's to use
DHCP. Then find them on the network and then browse them. Once you are finished configuring them, change
the IP settings for each RRC for the ones you need in the center. After that you will not be able to reach them
any more, but then they should work if you configured  them correctly.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WW3S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2018-04-10, 03:26:34 »
getting closer I think....can now browse the units when I'm on my home network.....configured them per page 107 in the manual, but confused on the SIP contact....should that be the IP for one of my units, or leave as is? And if I need to change it, is it the radio IP or the control IP?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2018-04-10, 04:19:02 »
The SIP contact must be the IP address of the other radio RRC.

I suggest that you leave out the SIP password, since you will only be using it within a LAN.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WW3S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2018-04-10, 05:01:22 »
Eureka !!!! One down, one to go..... owe you a few cold ones at he Crown....(keeping finger crossed it works at the 911 center)

WW3S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2018-04-11, 03:44:07 »
Mitch, thanks again, I have both pairs working, changed the SIP on the second pair to 13003/4/5 and tested both pairs, however I only have one radio here to test with....I think you mentioned before if I have both pairs/radios on the same LAN at the same time, I need a different web server address for one set? Would that apply in my case, since we have no outside access, only going thru our own private network? Want to make sure I have them configured, as once I take them to the EOC we cannot access them thru a web browser....

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2018-04-11, 06:52:00 »
Hi Jamie,

No, I said that you should not bother to change the web ports, since you use them internally, The second
pair is just addressed using its different internal IP address.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WW3S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2018-04-15, 15:09:09 »
Thanks to Mitch DJ0QN and Mike SM2O for your help, successfully installed one of the IC-7100 at our local county EMA office late last week, and controlled and operated it from our radio room....once the tower vendor terminates the feedline, we should have both stations up and running !!!!! Thanks again es 73....