Author Topic: Virtual ports won't install under Windows 10  (Read 3000 times)

K2MK

• View Profile
    • Email
Virtual ports won't install under Windows 10
« on: 2018-04-28, 13:11:12 »
I've been successfully using my RRC-1258 with RHR for 2 years running CW, SSB, and FSK RTTY. I upgraded to a new PC running Windows 10. The Microbit installer does not install the virtual ports which means that I don't have access to COMExtra for running FSK RTTY.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the program numerous times. I've tried running the installer as an administrator. The installer version is 1.31_2016-03-10. During the installation I see the pop-up that I may have to approve the installation of the virtual ports. I also see a message that the virtual ports are being installed. I don't get any additional pop-ups asking me for any approvals. After installation there are no virtual ports in my PC Device Manager window.

Viewing my PC Device Manager I chose an action to Add Legacy Hardware. Manually searching led me to find all 4 virtual ports with proper COM numbers. I manually installed each of them, however, they all showed up in Device Manager with a warning icon. I tried to use the ComExtra port from within N1MM/MMTTY but it was not workable. I tried the COM port number, EXTFSK, and EXTFSK64. The MMTTY message was always "Can't Open COMxx".

Any ideas?

Mike K2MK

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Virtual ports won't install under Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: 2018-04-28, 15:50:20 »
Mike,

Have you followed these instructions?: http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=3200

I would suggest deinstalling all Microbit drivers using that program, rebooting and then reinstalling
using the newest version of Microbit Setup Manager.

If that doesn't work, you can take a direct look at all installed serial ports and delete or change their
port number: http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=877.msg4032#msg4032

I also have a "worst case" tool available that nukes all installed USB drivers that I can send to you if requested.
The drivers that are used by Windows will reinstall automatically and then you can reinstall the rest as needed,
including these Microbit ports.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K2MK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-04-28, 16:34:46 »
Hi Mitch,

I followed the instructions. The report on notepad was not too informative since there were no RRC ports to remove.

I uninstalled Microbit programs and drivers, rebooted, and re-installed. Same problem.

I'm not ready to nuke all serial ports. There are 5 pre-installed ports that came with the PC and I don't know if I have the capability of re-installing them if I nuke them. I'm not ready to take that risk.

I don't see how there can be a numbering conflict. Wouldn't the virtual ports just install at the next available number?

Other ideas are welcome.

Mike K2MK

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-04-28, 18:57:08 »
Hi Mike,

No, Windows will indeed set a port number to the same as an old one if it is currently not plugged-in.
You should definitely use that scrip in my link to double-check.

Nuking them won't remove the actual drivers in the Windows directory. They will reinstall automatically.
This would effectively be a "colonoscopy" for your Windows USB drivers and clean everything out like new.

If you want it, just drop me a mail at dj0qn (at) darc.de and I will send it to you.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX