Author Topic: WinTest/K3 Twins  (Read 9561 times)

KU2C

• View Profile
    • Email
WinTest/K3 Twins
« on: 2018-05-01, 02:37:52 »
Not sure how to configure the RRC 1258's to utilize WinTest. Just setting up a pair of 1258's between two K3's. The remote site will be here at KU2C and the control site will be at W2GD's condo.

We would prefer the PC running WinTest would be at the control site (W2GD). Has anyone already solved this?

Thanks for any advice!
Pete // KU2C

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: WinTest/K3 Twins
« Reply #1 on: 2018-05-01, 03:01:21 »
Hi Pete,

Here is my CAT checklist for the K3 Twin:

CAT Checklist for K3 Twin
----------------------------------
Note first that in a "Twin" configuration, COM2 is used to "tie" the two ends together and carries the CAT data. In order to access CAT, you need to get to COM2 without touching it. The easiest method is to duplicate COM2 over COM1 using a function in the RRC as follows:

- Change both RRC's COM1 to mode-7. Note that the baud rate does not have to be identical with COM2 to fit a lower bandwidth or software requirement.

- If using a "real" serial cable:
     - connect between the control RRC's COM1 and the PC, but note that the pinout is not the standard straight-through serial port. Use the pinout description in the RemoteRig manual, or just try a null-modem cable which usually works (may need a gender changer).
     - The  serial setting for COM1 "Use USB Com Port as COM1" must be set to NO

- If using USB:
     - make sure that first Microbit Setup Manager is installed first on the control PC to get the drivers.
     - Then change the serial settings for COM1 to change "Use USB Com Port as COM1" to YES
     - connect the USB cable between the RRC and computer and wait for the drivers to finish installing
     - go to the Windows Device Manager and look at which virtual serial port was assigned to COM1 and use that for your software, taking the correct baud rate into account.

Note also that you can pull CAT data in parallel off of the radio RRC to use a PC on that end, or to sync with a remote device (amplifier, SteppIR, etc.)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KU2C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-05-02, 16:17:02 »

Thank you Mitch,  will give that a try. 

KU2C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-05-08, 18:18:37 »

Mitch,

Thank you - I now have WinTest working between control RRC and remote RRC boxes (Com1/Mode7).

For using wintest stored CW messages it looks like WinKeyer is a good choice.

Finally, the last piece before going beyond my LAN is the rotator.  I'm confused about whether Rotator control (RT21) can be done thru these same 1258's concurrently with WinTest, or do I need to create another path.  Is USB and COM1 mutually exclusive?  I've searched here and on the Elecraft reflection but haven't found a clear answer to my situation.

Again many thanks & 73

Pete // KU2C

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2018-05-08, 20:35:33 »
Hi Pete,

There are two serial server COM ports available on the RRC's. In "Twin" mode, like what you are
using, both are already being used. Therefore, you need to find another solution. Any yes, the
COM ports can either be set to use USB or standard cables, but not both at the same time.

There is the Microbit solution that you will find at: http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=636
and also the more generic WebSwitch will do the job: http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=166

I personally use standard serial port servers, such as from Lantronix. They are relatively inexpensive
and work great. You use a standard rotor control program over a virtual serial port and not a web
interface.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KU2C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2018-05-08, 21:23:45 »

Thanks again Mitch // Pete

K5WA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2018-08-19, 03:54:21 »
Mitch,

I'm using N1MM, K3 and K3/0 in about the same 1258 MKII application as the others here.  I read the manual to say that I can use the virtual ports and don't need to connect my CAT to CONTROL COM1 or any hardware port.  Am I misunderstanding the manual?  I have the rigs working perfectly and N1MM is using the CONTROL Winkey emulator (via virtual port) but I can't get the CAT line to communicate via virtual port.  I have not tried the hardware COM1 solution and hope I don't need to because I have other plans for COM1.

Thanks for any ideas as I get back into this remoting project I halted 3 years ago.  ;-)

Bob K5WA

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2018-08-19, 11:33:35 »
Hi Bob,

I am not sure if you understood the manual. You need to use COM1 for CAT, either using a "real" serial cable, or the built-in serial to USB converter. Since you already
use COMEXTRA for Winkeyer, all you would need to do is to use COM1 over USB for CAT in parallel after changing the settings for COM1 to mode-7 on both sides.

Here is my CAT checklist:

CAT Checklist for K3 Twin
----------------------------------
Note first that in a "Twin" configuration, COM2 is used to "tie" the two ends together and carries the CAT data. In order to access CAT, you need to get to COM2 without touching it. The easiest method is to duplicate COM2 over COM1 using a function in the RRC as follows:

- Change both RRC's COM1 to mode-7. Note that the baud rate does not have to be identical with COM2 to fit a lower bandwidth or software requirement.

- If using a "real" serial cable:
     - connect a straight through serial cable between the control RRC's COM1 and the PC. If using a USB to serial converter cable, make sure it is using an FTDI chipset.
     - note that if you also use the radio RRC's COM1, the pinout is not the standard straight-through serial port. Use the pinout description in the RemoteRig manual, or just try a null-modem cable which usually works (may need a gender changer).
     - the  serial setting for COM1 "Use USB Com Port as COM1" must be set to NO

- If using USB:
     - make sure that first Microbit Setup Manager is installed first on the control PC to get the drivers.
     - Then change the serial settings for COM1 to change "Use USB Com Port as COM1" to YES
     - connect the USB cable between the RRC and computer and wait for the drivers to finish installing
     - go to the Windows Device Manager and look at which virtual serial port was assigned to COM1 and use that for your software, taking the correct baud rate into account.

Note also that you can pull CAT data in parallel off of the radio RRC to use a PC on that end, or to sync with a remote device (amplifier, SteppIR, etc.)

I hope this helps.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K5WA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2018-08-19, 14:36:22 »
OK, thanks Mitch.  I'll try that today.

Bob K5WA

K5WA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2018-08-19, 14:46:04 »
Mitch,

Just tested it and it worked the first time!  I used the USB connection for COM1 and WinKeyer is on the virtual com port.  Now it is working with N1MM.

Vielen Dank!

Bob

K5WA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2018-08-19, 22:57:16 »
Mitch,

Sorry to bother you with this but in my testing at home here (very fun), I apparently got RF into the Radio RRC with my crummy antenna here at home and it won't even power up now.  I've used my microscopic glasses and don't see any obvious damage but wondered if you knew of a hardware reset procedure.  I tried the reset button on the back but I'm sure it needs a powered box to work.  I guess I need to send this to Sweden?

Thanks again,
Bob

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2018-08-19, 23:29:11 »
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about the problem. Did you test it using a different power supply? If it is really dead, then I guess
you need to contact Microbit directly.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K5WA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2018-08-20, 00:00:50 »
Thanks, yes, I've posted a note to SM2O and we'll see what he says.  Oh to be so close and then fail.  ;-)

Oh well, I'm in this for the long term now and this is just a minor setback.  You've helped me get a configuration that works so I consider I've made a major step forward toward the end result but I'll put some good RF protection on these units from now on.

Bob

KU2C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2018-08-29, 19:08:14 »
Hi Mitch,

Sorry to bother, having a problem getting the winkey function to operate properly.
The keying from Wintest is garbled while the paddle is perfect ?

I'm set up for Com3 (extra) Mode 8,  and in Wintest I have configured for winkey @ 1200baud - handshake/handshake.

Any suggestions, please?

Pete // KU2C

KU2C

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2018-08-29, 20:06:05 »

UPdate

N1MM acts the same, with garbled cw from the keyboard/function keys but good cw from the paddle ... ?

Pete