Author Topic: Beginner question - setup manager - USB connection is "human interface device"?  (Read 3469 times)

wb0gaz

• View Profile
    • Email
I am beginner with RRC1258 system, new hardware purchase January 2011.

I installed microbit setup manager on my windows 2000 PC.

I connected USB port of PC to USB port of RRC-1258 MKII.

Windows is detecting the device as "human interface device", so microbit setup manager cannot find any hardware. Properties of this device in windows device manager includes "Location: 1258 Remote Rig", so I think it is loading wrong kind of driver.

When I tried update driver->have disk->.../1216H.inf or .../RRC1258.inf, Windows says "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware".

Is there better procedure to correct USB driver issue, or should I use different procedure (locate IP address and begin access via web browser)?

Thank you,

wb0gaz

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
First of all, we don't support versions of Windows older than XP (preferably with SP3), so what happens on Windows 2000 is not known to us.

But it is correct done of Windows to detect the RRC as a HID device. That is the way it's done in order to take benefit from Windows always having HID drivers available. The RRC1258.inf adds another USB profile to the RRC, a USB Virtual Serial port, which the Setup Manager doesn't need.

Have you tested if the Setup Manager works or not? I ask because you don't write anything about that  ;)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.