Author Topic: RemoteRig box locks up with red light and frozen HELLO when powering on  (Read 2999 times)

TF3OM

• View Profile
I have a Remoterig connection between my home near Reykjavik and my summer house near Geysir the geothermal site. Internet connection is good at both places. Rig is an one year old TS-480 and the Remoterig units are about 1 year old. Power supply for the local Remoterig is a wall transformer ordered with the Remoterig, and at the remote site power is obtained from the 13.8V 20A linear supply via 1A fuse.

Every time I power up the rig with the Power ON button on the Kenwood the red indicator on the Remoterig lights up. The Kenwood says HELLO an then freezes.  Then I have to disconnect and reconnect the 12V supply from the wall transformer and again power up the Kenwood from the front panel. The Kenwood wakes up and the connection works OK.

If I power off the Kenwood rig and power on again, then the red light appears again and I have to cycle the power to the local Remoterig as described above.

It does not help to wait one minute until the red light disappears.

Any solution?

Regards, Agust  TF3OM

« Last Edit: 2018-09-23, 15:39:27 by TF3OM »

TF3OM

• View Profile
Re: Remote rig locks up with red light when powering on
« Reply #1 on: 2018-05-27, 14:16:38 »
I note that the wall transformer at the home QTH is only 12.0 volt.  I will try to supply the local control RemoteRig box with 13.8 volt.

At my summer cottage / antenna farm the RemoteRig box is supplied from the main 13.8 volt supply though a 1 amper fuse.   No problems there.

-

I also note that after the frozen HELLO text appears and the RED light lights up it is sufficient to wait for a minute or so until the red light turns off, and then disconnect the TS-480 front for a moment with the 6 contact connector.  Then the Rig will start up correctly.

-

The next step is to power the local RemoteRig box from my main 13.8 volt station supply through a fuse. Hope that will help.

-

TF3OM

• View Profile
Re: Remote rig locks up with red light when powering on
« Reply #2 on: 2018-05-31, 18:01:44 »
The problem is mostly solved.

1) I replaced the wall transformer at my home QTH with a cable to the station's main 13.8 volt power supply that I mainly use for my IC-7300. The wall transformer was only supplying 12.0 volts.  For safety reasons I put a 1 ampere fuse in the cable. Now the system is powered at both sides with 13.8V from linear supplies.

2) The link between the two RemoteRig units had 7 hops according to the software PingPlotter.  I replaced it with another link with only 4 hops.  The new link uses a high speed (100 Mb/s) service  at the local QTH, and a 4G router (40 Mb/s up and down) at the remote site. Both services are run by the same company www.siminn.is so interconnections are short and few.

My RemoteRig + TS-480 setup works now almost perfectly.  I have not experienced any dropout.

The only quirk is that when I turn on the TS-480 rig with the power on/off button the red light appears on the RemoteRig. Usually the HELLO greeting appears and freezes.  Then I wait until the red light turns off and press the power on/off button again. This usually is sufficient to wake up the Kenwood.  In some cases I have to remove the 6 conductor plug for a second from the TS-480 control head, and everything remains OK after that.  It seem to be something related to the serial connection between the RemoteRig box and the TS-480 control head.  I can live with this minor quirk until I find a solution.   

« Last Edit: 2018-05-31, 19:05:57 by TF3OM »

TF3OM

• View Profile
After several connection attempts with my help My RemoteRig + TS-480 setup works almost perfectly.  I do not experienced any dropouts.

But...

When I turn on the TS-480 rig with the power on/off button the red light appears on the control RemoteRig box. Usually the HELLO greeting appears and freezes.  Then I wait until the red light turns off and I have to remove the 6 conductor plug for a second from the TS-480 control head, and then the radio finally starts and everything remains OK after that.  It seem to be something related to the serial connection between the RemoteRig box and the TS-480 control head. 

If I switch off the TS-480 with the power button on the faceplate, and then ON again, I have to repeat the procedure (wait until red light goes off, and then remove the 6-corecable for a moment).

Something wrong with the RemoteRig control unit?

Something wrong with the TS-480 control head?

---

I use 13.8 volt linear power supplies at both the control and remote station for powering the RemoteRig Boxes.

The Internet connection is very good.

Any suggestions?

Agust, TF3OM

« Last Edit: 2018-09-23, 18:11:19 by TF3OM »