Author Topic: TS480 Cannot establish initial connection within LAN  (Read 8022 times)

w7fz

• View Profile
    • Email
Lynksys Router IP is 192.168.1.1. RCC 1258 Serial 3164 has been assigned IP address 192.168.1.228 and RCC 1258 Serial 3211 has been assigned IP address 192.168.1.227.  Both units have Netmask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1, and DNS 192. 168.0.1 (default).  I have not selected DHCP.  I have updated both units to FW 2.33.  I have confirmed that all cables work correctly.  When attempting to establish initial connection within my LAN, the TS480 panel does not power up and after a few seconds I receive from the panel a warning tone like telephone companies use for "incompleted calls" -- tone low - high - low, low - high -low, low - high- low.  What am I doing wrong?  Since I am basically in kindergarden when it comes to IP technology this is very frustrating.
w7fz Robert
w7fz  Robert

sv1elf

• View Profile
Re: TS480 Cannot establish initial connection within LAN
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-25, 06:48:37 »
Hi Robert
Do you have in RRC control side ,IP in ''sip contact '' you must tell ti it where to connect.
If conrtol has ..227 then put in sip contact ..228 on radio side.
73 de George

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-25, 07:53:02 »
Robert,

That doesn't make sense.....the router would not assign IP numbers unless
the boxes were changed to DHCP. I am not sure what you think you are
seeing DHCP if was not changed.

If you didn't change them to DHCP yet, please do so now using the Setup
Manager and the USB cable. Then check the router for the assigned IP
numbers and connect like George said using the one assigned.

Mike, I believe the boxes should factory default to DHCP, since this seems
to cause a lot of problems for people that are not familiar with networks.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-25, 09:03:58 »
Hi Robert,

from the networking point of view your setup looks quite ok for me (as long as you are on your LAN as you have told). Only thing that sounds wrong is the IP of the DNS server! I would expect 192.168.1.1 (if activated in your router) or the IP of an external DNS. So as long as you are using IPs for the SIP contact it should work.

If it doesn't work, first try to access the web interface of both units.

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-25, 16:12:59 »
I think you have forgot to change the "phone number" when changning the ip of the Radio-RRC you must change the SIP contact in the Control-RRC to be the same as the Radio-RRC IP-adress

/mike

w7fz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-26, 18:14:37 »
I am deeply indebted to all who have replied to my problem.  Although I have not yet had the opportunity to try the suggestions regarding the RCC-control and RCC-radio units, I will definitely do so in the near future.  I think that the step-by-step procedure for establishing initial connection should be clarified, at least in respect to the TS480, because, to me, SIP, selection of DHCP, and DNS is not adequately explained.  I will report back about my success (or failure) to resolve my problem.  TNX AGN.
73   w7fz
w7fz  Robert

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-27, 08:16:24 »
I think that the step-by-step procedure for establishing initial connection should be clarified, at least in respect to the TS480, because, to me, SIP, selection of DHCP, and DNS is not adequately explained
In order for us to be able to make it clearer it would be most valuable to know not only that it isn't clear enough, but also an explanation of the things considered being unclear, and possibly suggestions about how to improve.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

w7fz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-27, 18:57:44 »
In order for us to be able to make it clearer it would be most valuable to know not only that it isn't clear enough, but also an explanation of the things considered being unclear, and possibly suggestions about how to improve.

I am glad that you caught the sentance which I inserted into my reply.  As soon as I get the RCC's working correctly I will go over the instruction manual and give you some suggestions which might help to clarify matters, all from the view point of someone who is relatively new to IP technology.
w7fz  Robert
w7fz  Robert

w7fz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-31, 19:19:22 »
I think that the step-by-step procedure for establishing initial connection should be clarified, at least in respect to the TS480, because, to me, SIP, selection of DHCP, and DNS is not adequately explained

My confusion on how to establish initial connection using the RCC's and the TS480 arose from my lack of experience with DHCP and SIP.  I will address both of those subjects.
DHCP:  The instruction manual is not clear on what to do if a person selects "YES" in regard to DHCP.  If the default "NO" is selected then all is well and good, but I chose "YES" initially, based on the comment in the Instruction Manual that eventually most people would have to select "YES" when using the Control-RCC remotely (ouside the LAN).  After I selected "YES" the "IP Settings" Web Page did not show the new IP address (192.168.1.102), and due to my lack of experience I did not know how to proceed.  Now that I have had some experience with the RCC's I am aware that a lot of people wish to use DHCP from the beginning, even while establishing initial connection with their radio.  I recommend that the "Step by Step System Setup" section in the Instruction Manual be changed so that a person can select either "YES" for DHCP or "NO" for DHCP, and the resulting steps for either of the two cases would be available in the Instruction Manual.  In the case of "YES" for DHCP, those steps would need to be inserted into the Instruction Manual, and if you wish I could get a team together to provide some text which would lead not only to the establishment of initial connection but also would lead to connection to the TS480 from external to the LAN.  Maybe those kind people who gave me valuable comments at the beginning of this topic would be willing to help.  In the case of "NO" for DHCP, those steps are already in the Instruction Manual, and apart from some clarification and/or grammar improvement, I do not see that any changes need to be made.
SIP:  When trying to establish initial connection with the TS480 and arriving at Step 9 in the "Step by Step System Setup" I went to the section on the TS480.  The table entitiled "Radio Settings (Example)", for the most part is clear, but since it was my first time reading it, I was not certain exactly how to proceed.  I suggest that beneath the title of that table a clarifying sentence be inserted along the following lines:  "The following table is based on a router having an internal IP address of 192.168.0.1, and consequently, the Radio-RCC having an IP address of 192.168.0.228.  The basic software configuration for your system will have to take into account the IP address of your Radio-RCC as selected in Step 5, above."  Then, I recommend that an asterisk be inserted in the table beside "SIP Contact" and below, the following text be inserted:  "Note that for the establishment of initial connection the "SIP Contact" must agree with the IP address of the Radio-RCC."   Additionally, I recommend that each of the fields in the table be described with clarifying text, unless that has been done eslewhere in the Instruction Manual, in which case a hyperlink should be inserted to take the User to the description of those fields.
Comments, please
w7fz  Robert
w7fz  Robert

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2011-02-01, 08:40:35 »
Thank you!
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.