Author Topic: Error message  (Read 19584 times)

Chris DL5NAM

• View Profile
    • Email
Error message
« on: 2011-01-31, 21:37:19 »
Have installed newest version of the Microbit RRC Client on a Windows7 PC.
If i click button Selecting Panels i get an error window. Same if i click "Show program Information"

Dont know how to include the picture right way

VK3ADE

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Error message
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-01, 03:34:16 »
HI

I don't know if I can be lot of help except to say I have the software installed on Windows 7, both 64 and 32 bit versions and the install was error free. It looks a little to me like the Com Ports have not all been installed, have you used your Windows 7 device manager to check for the presence of the Microbit ports, there should be 3 of them and they are designated 'Microbit SerialUDP device (COMX etc)'. I hope I am not telling you something you already know, if so my apologies.

Roger VK3ADE

Chris DL5NAM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-01, 08:21:23 »
Roger, tnx fr answer.
But device manager shows 3 "microbit SerialUDP Devives"

I am not a programmer. I install the soft also on my shack PC, running XP.
First and second start i get same error message. I reboot and not more error message came up, and soft runs well - only on XP SP3.

Maybe our trusted company  :) in Sweden has a hint.

Have complete deinstalled and done a new install -no changes.

Chris

Chris DL5NAM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-03, 19:43:39 »
No info from Sweden, it looks like that is a real big buck. They should place a hint at web and stop selling this device.

So be careful if you using Windows7 - can be possible that you will get problems. Maybe next version of soft will fix it.

roland

« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-03, 20:49:59 »
No info from Sweden, it looks like that is a real big buck. They should place a hint at web and stop selling this device.

So be careful if you using Windows7 - can be possible that you will get problems. Maybe next version of soft will fix it.
Hi DL5NAM. Sorry that you didn't get any answer directly on this. But you have to understand the we as developers has many things on our 'to-do' list. Your report is dated 31/1 and its now 3/2, if you wan't 24 hours direct support I suggest you take contact with us for an offer on that.

This software is developed on Windows 7 and tested on Windows 7 and Windows XP SP3 both here and by some testers outside the company. No one else has so far reported this kind of problem so I think stop selling the device would be going a bit to far and to fast.

One thing you can do is to click on the 'program information' button and then exit the program.
You should then have a file called info.txt in you documents folder. Please send that file to me.

Open your Control Panel/System/Device Manager. Microbit SerialUDP Device should be present in the Group Ports. Is it?
If it is, double click in it and select tab Driver. Version should be 1.0.4.3.

Lets start there and see what we can get out of that.

Best regards
Roland

« Last Edit: 2011-02-03, 20:51:45 by Roland (Microbit) »

VK3ADE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-04, 00:45:04 »
Roland

I too had problems installng your latest release, firstly I was unsure if I needed to remove the old version so I did that and then rebooted (Some guidance here would have been good) . I then installed the latest release (Windows7 - 32 bit), and opted to install all the 3 com port drivers, the install took about 5 minutes and the major delay was the installation of the com port drivers, in the end Windows installed the first one correctly and the last 2 were installed as unknown devices, naturally they were not going to work. I then removed the install and tried again, this also took about a 5 minutes and the result was the same. I removed the software and tried the install for a third time, this time every thing worked fine and continues to do so. Like you I am also a software developer and have many things on my to-do list as well and so would expect these installations to be trouble free! :) 

Roger VK3ADE

roland

« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-04, 08:38:04 »
@VK3ADE and @DL5NAM

• No. You do not need to uninstall previous version. I will make a note that instructions for that will be added to the manual page.

• Yes. On Windows7 the installation of COM-ports may take a while, but 5 minutes sounds very long. On our machines the time is about 30 sec - 1 minute / port. The reason for this long installation time compared to XP is something that is hidden in Windows internally. We call the Windows API for this and have to wait until its finished. I guess its caused by Win7's security system.

• The information about that only the first port was registered correctly and the rest of them as Unknown devices was new to me. Did this occur with your previous installations also. If not, its a bit confusing as neither the code for installation or the installation has been changed in any way. The only thing that has changed in the driver it self is that some debug messages has been added. There could be some information in this in your EvenLog. Open Control Panel/Administative Tools/Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application. All logged events about the Comports is a lines with Source=1274Serial. Is there any Errors or Warnings?

« Last Edit: 2011-02-04, 11:07:58 by Roland (Microbit) »

Chris DL5NAM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-05, 16:57:18 »
Hello Roland,

let me answer bottom up:

Version should be 1.0.4.3. = Yes, i have
Microbit SerialUDP Device should be present in the Group Ports = Yes, i have 3 times (COM5, COM6,COM7)

You should then have a file called info.txt = I don't have one !

If i click "Show program information" or "Show or hide settings panel" button i get the error window.

Have test newest version of soft

regards
Chris

roland

« Reply #8 on: 2011-02-05, 19:38:38 »
Hello Roland,

let me answer bottom up:

Version should be 1.0.4.3. = Yes, i have
Microbit SerialUDP Device should be present in the Group Ports = Yes, i have 3 times (COM5, COM6,COM7)

You should then have a file called info.txt = I don't have one !

If i click "Show program information" or "Show or hide settings panel" button i get the error window.

Have test newest version of soft

regards
Chris

More questions.

• When you say latest version. Is that 1.1.1 or 1.1.2? Both was released with a few days between.
  • Have you installed .NET 4? You can check installed version by running attached file netver.exe
  • Have installed all Windows7 updates? Check in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update.
  • Are you running Win7 32 or 64 bit?

« Last Edit: 2011-02-05, 19:41:18 by Roland (Microbit) »

Chris DL5NAM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2011-02-05, 20:56:11 »
Hello Roland,

thanks for fast answer.

Using here:

Win7-32
Last Win7-update: 4. Feb
.NET4 up-to-date

RRC 1.1.2

regards
Chris

roland

« Reply #10 on: 2011-02-05, 21:50:40 »
Hello Roland,

thanks for fast answer.

Using here:

Win7-32
Last Win7-update: 4. Feb
.NET4 up-to-date

RRC 1.1.2

regards
Chris

I will rig up a win7 notebook 32bit a work on Monday and see if I can repeat your problems.
Will write the results here then.

VK3ADE told me that he had tested with both Win7 32 and 64 bit. He's 64 bit installation was without problems. He's 32 bit installation had some problems with the com-ports and but finally got up and working after some trials. So there seems to be something strange with the Win7 32 bit version. Hopefully the tests on Monday will give us something to work with.

Chris DL5NAM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2011-02-05, 22:32:28 »
Roland, take the time you need - got to know "FBI" is working :)

Don't have Win7/64 - cant try.

Have a nice weekend

Chris

roland

« Reply #12 on: 2011-02-05, 22:54:23 »
Roland, take the time you need - got to know "FBI" is working :)

Don't have Win7/64 - cant try.

Have a nice weekend

Chris

Wish you the same
Roland

VK3ADE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2011-02-09, 07:51:20 »
This is just a notification after having problems installing V1.1.1 previously. The new Version 1.1.2 was installed on Windows 7 32 bit (over the top of the old one) without any issues. It was very fast which I assume is because it does not do a restore point before installing the drivers for each com port. My only suggestion is to place a notice on the download page telling users to simply install over the old version.

The application looks fine and seems to work well.  :)

Roger VK3ADE

roland

« Reply #14 on: 2011-02-09, 08:17:56 »
Great.
Thanks for the input