Author Topic: RRC Failed Link LED  (Read 2474 times)

w9ac

• View Profile
    • Email
RRC Failed Link LED
« on: 2018-07-08, 17:33:25 »
The amber Ethernet "link" LED on my RRC at the control point is no longer staying lighted.  The green "data" LED does show data.  I can connect to the remote RRC but no audio and control is erratic.  Another user is remoting in to the site just fine.  So, the problem is on my control end.   

I've done a hard RRC reset, changed cables, different gigabit switch ports, and reset all network LAN devices.  No good.  I took a big lightning hit four weeks ago and it took out many items on the LAN but the RRC has been OK until now.  To help prevent lightning damage on the LAN in the future, I have installed a pair of fiber-optic gigabit transceivers with a 3m fiber cable to isolate the cable modem from the LAN's router.  Power supplies feeding the fiber-optic transceivers are also isolated. 

I want to confirm from others that the RRC's amber Ethernet LED is normally on with a LAN connection.  It does flash momentarily at power-up but then stays out.  I just don't recall the behavior of the RRC when it was working normally but link LEDs on my other Ethernet devices stay lighted when connected.  Thanks.

Paul, W9AC

P.S.

I do see this in the manual:

LINK Green LED indicates link OK flashing LED indicates traffic
ACT Yellow LED indicates speed = 100Mbit/s (off = 10MBits/s)

In my case, the Green LED is blinking with data but the amber LED is off, indicating a 10 Mbps connection.  So, perhaps what I'm seeing is normal. 
« Last Edit: 2018-07-08, 17:50:57 by w9ac »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: RRC Failed Link LED
« Reply #1 on: 2018-07-08, 22:39:10 »
Hi Paul,

This normal behavior when the RRC does not get 12v and uses only USB power. Did you check the power supply?

Otherwise, Mike will have to help you out, even though he is on vacation until August.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w9ac

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: RRC Failed Link LED
« Reply #2 on: 2018-07-11, 16:07:25 »
Thanks, Mitch.  The problem appeared to be a blocked port by Comcast or VZW.  It cleared itself yesterday.  I was just about to bring the ports down from 13000 to around 5100 but the issue cleared -- for now.  Thanks for the feedback.

Paul, W9AC