Author Topic: Better microphone for TS-480 remote use?  (Read 14699 times)

NZ5E

• View Profile
Better microphone for TS-480 remote use?
« on: 2011-02-08, 03:08:27 »
Anyone using something different than the stock hand microphone with their TS-480 for remote use with the Remote Rig system?

I stayed inside and played radio today while it was snowing outside.  A couple of different stations played a clip of my audio back over the radio for me to hear.  I thought my audio sounded a little bit muffled with the stock hand microphone, which started me thinking about enhancing my audio quality with a replacement microphone.  Maybe one of the models from Heil Sound?

ea3in

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Better microphone for TS-480 remote use?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-08, 17:47:33 »
I didn't found any better one than the stock MC-43

Also tried a Heil HC-4, an MC-60A and a senheiser.

NZ5E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-09, 14:11:17 »
I didn't found any better one than the stock MC-43

Also tried a Heil HC-4, an MC-60A and a senheiser.

I detected a hollow sound while listening to the recordings that is a common characteristic of a hand microphone.  Then when I went to the Heil Sound website, that characteristic is exactly what the description of the Handi Mic and GM Series claims to solve.

In a review on eham.net of the Heil Goldline Series, a nonremote user with a TS-480 mentioned using the "wide" setting for the microphone and the "high boost" setting for the TS-480.  I realize that the optimum audio settings would have to be tailored to an individuals voice, but would the settings that work well while operating nonremote be the same settings that work well while operating remotely over the internet through the Remote Rig system?

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-09, 13:42:50 »
I realize I'm replying to a 3 year old thread, but I'm very curious if the original poster (or anyone else) in fact tried a different microphone and if there was an improvement. Also, while you were unhappy with your audio quality, what "Audio Quality" did you have set for your RRC-1258 units?

I noticed, a few days ago, my TX audio quality wasn't the best, but last night I realized this could be adjusted by the RRC-1258 "Audio Quality" settings. I switched from "0" to "2" and it seems to have improved. I will do more testing tonight, but I think I might have solved my problem.

Still though, I'd like to know other people's experiences with different microphones.

73 Marvin VE3VEE

4Z4OQ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-09, 14:58:32 »
Hi Marvim

The original hand mic arriving with the ts-480 is one of the best options... I used several others with a dirrect connection and come back to the hand mic...
I am now putting up a multiple input mixer (see earlier post) and will adv outcome ASAP.

Ziv

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-09, 15:01:27 »
Ziv, thanks. I will read your future posts to see what you will find out.

73 Marvin VE3VEE

K6HP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2014-08-13, 06:29:22 »
I believe the TS-480 only has the ability for a 2.4 wide bandwidth on TX. Therefore, it is not going to be easy to modify the audio quality to get a better sound out of the available bandwidth.

You can tailor it, to some degree, with the EQ settings in the radio based on your voice but that is about it. Using a higher bandwidth / quality mic will probably not provide much of a change in the audio quality, to a degree worth the cost.

Ed
K6HP