Author Topic: Installation of Remoterig in confined space  (Read 3364 times)

N4VT

• View Profile
    • Email
Installation of Remoterig in confined space
« on: 2018-08-31, 18:05:56 »
Hello all. I’ve recently purchased the Remoterig units and an IC-7100. I’d like to install everything in a Pelican case, and will be using the included foam to keep everything secured. One concern I have is overheating of the Remoterig unit. Does the Remoterig unit need ventilation or airspace around it to keep it from becoming too hot during use?  In this installation, it would be surrounded by dense foam on all sides except for the top, upon which would sit the IC-7100 control head. 

Thanks, and 73,

David
N4VT

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Installation of Remoterig in confined space
« Reply #1 on: 2018-08-31, 19:00:48 »
Hi David,

Normally not a big problem, but sometimes there is.

For example: http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=6040.msg28294#msg28294

Mitch DJ0QN  / K7DX

N4VT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-08-31, 20:15:11 »
Thanks, Mitch. I saw that thread, but it didn’t address my specific concern. Let me add to my original query: absent direct sunlight or high ambient temps (over 90 degrees Fahrenheit), does the Remoterig itself produce enough heat to cause problems if installed in the fashion delineated in my original post?

Thanks again for the help. 

David
N4VT

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-08-31, 21:50:39 »
Hi David,

No problem, that was not too clear.

Mike should really answer this, since he specs the units. However, all these years I have never noticed any heat whatsoever
coming from any RRC. I also have one built into a Pelican Case for portable use and also never had a problem.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

N4VT

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2018-08-31, 22:07:23 »
Perfect, that’s exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I’ll consider it a non-issue unless I hear otherwise from Mike.

David
N4VT