RRC 1258 Support in English > General discussion forum

TS-480SAT - Control head to 1258 or body doesn't work with COTS RJ12 cable?

(1/3) > >>

W4AFK:
Trying to connect a TS-480SAT control head to the RR-1258 using a standard RJ12 cable (all pins wired). It doesn't work.

To get to a baseline I set aside the 1258 and connected directly to the radio

- Used the stock Kenwood cable and it works (powers up, all functions are OK).
- Replaced it by a store bought RJ12 (1-to-1) cable and it never turns on.
- I bought two RJ12 cables so I tested using a second one ... same results
- Looked at the pins to compare and here is what I see:

Stock Kenwood cable (looking from the front, tab on top, left to right):
1. white, 2. black, 3. <nothing>, 4. red, 5. green, 6. yellow
No crossovers

Store-bought RJ12 cables (same view):
1. white, 2. black, 3. red, 4. green, 5. yellow, 6. blue
No crossovers

Is it possible that the connected #3 wire on the store bought RJ12 cable is causing the problem???

Service manual and other posts in this group show 6 wires and several posts mention than a standard RJ12 cable works. Not here (sigh)

Can it be that this older "2008" vintage TS-480SAT (S/N 00400107) only used 5 wires?

Just asking before I buy some RJ12 connectors (I have the tools but only RJ45 connectors LOL) and modify one of the store bought RJ12 cables

dj0qn:
A standard RJ12 cable will not work, because only two wires are carried through. Instead, you
need to buy one that has all wires carried through, referred to as a 6P6C cable.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W4AFK:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. As noted in my pinouts, the RJ12 cable I have has all 6 wires connected end-to-end, no crossover. Now you are right that I should have called it 6P6C.

As I also noted in my original message, the stock TS480 control head to radio cable doesn't have wire #3 connected (total 5 wires). My "6P6C" cable has all 6.

dj0qn:
Yes, that wasn't clear, I understood that you didn't have a 6-wire cable and were asking if you needed one.

Whether the TS-480 only uses 5 wires out of the 6 is irrelevant, because you can't buy one. However, a standard
6P6C cable will always work just fine. I have deployed and helped dozens of others  to deploy TS-480 based
RemoteRig systems over the past eight years and they always worked.

I am not really sure why your cables do not work. The older version of the TS-480 is the same, the change was made
in the microphone circuit. Maybe you should try ordering a cable through a different source to see if that works.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W4AFK:
Mitch ... the 6P6C cables I have don't work so I'll build one (need to buy some 6P6C connectors at Fry's on Sunday).

- I made the suggested SIP changes
- I borrowed the control head to RR1258 cable from my working system and connected it to the new system.

Result: It "almost" works. Radio turns on and I have full control. However, PTT from the mic doesn't work. (This also tells me that the two cables I bought have something wrong. I'll build my own cable)

Here is what I see:

- I connect the mic to the radio's body and PTT works

- I connect the mic to the RR Control unit and there is no PTT from the mic (I can key from the front panel)

Note: I used the RJ45 jumper cable that was provided with the RR1258 to jumper between the RR Radio and the radio itself. I also had a set of Kenwood MIC cable adapters from RR (RJ45 to Circular M and RJ45 to Circular F) so I even tried that cable after mating the Circular M-F connectors. Same results - No PTT from the radio

- I reconfigured RR Control and RR Radio to Config Type 2 (was 1) with no change in the results (no PTT from the mic). FYI - Radio's S/N is 00400107 (July 2008 vintage)

- I re-read the steps in the manual and compared to my functional system but I can't figure out why the PTT doesn't work when the MIC is connected to the RR Control's AUX/MIC port.

Any suggestions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version