Author Topic: How to configure RR-1258 w/WiFi for use on internal LAN?  (Read 5089 times)

W4AFK

• View Profile
    • Email
TS-480SAT, RR-1258mkII w/WiFi

I cannot get the control head to run the radio. The RR1258 sends out multiple beeps when I press the control head's power button.

- Router confirms IP addresses assigned
- I set DHCP to ON then tried OFF on the control & remote 1258 ... no difference

I already have another set of 1258 that I use via the Internet to remote control a radio. But this time I want to control it via WiFi and inside my network.

I also compared my functioning RR1258 settings (also running a remote TS-480SAT via the Internet) to make sure that the core settings are the same.

I must be missing something very basic here.

- Do I need to do port forwarding on the router even if I am staying inside the network? I do have port forwarding on my wired remote systems' router (2682 miles away). Do I also need it for inside my network?

- Can I use the same UDP/SIP/etc ports as for my wired remote?

I also noticed that in the STATUS screen of the control unit, it says that the Other Party's IP is it's own. On the Radio unit it says Other Party's IP is 0.0.0.0.

On the functioning wired system they reflect the other party's IP address.

By the way, my goal is to setup the radio in a sheltered shed without any wires. Don't know if the AC is on the same circuit so I bought a pair of 1258's with the WiFi modules as I was told it was doable.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: How to configure RR-1258 w/WiFi for use on internal LAN?
« Reply #1 on: 2018-09-29, 15:46:43 »
To answer your questions:

- You do not need ports forwarded if using a LAN (i.e. same network)

- A second set of RRC's MUST use a unique set of port numbers different from the current set

- The SIP contact field must use the internal IP address of the radio RRC and NOT the dynamic DNS address.
   Sometimes the DDNS will work if the ports are forwarded, but a good router will block this from working.

If you move the units offsite after changing the port numbers after port forwarding and testing, then the same
DDNS address can be used as the SIP address as the first units, since the port numbers will be passed onto the
correct set.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W4AFK

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to configure RR-1258 w/WiFi for use on internal LAN?
« Reply #2 on: 2018-09-30, 05:08:34 »
Thanks Mitch

- I'll use unique set of port numbers different from the first set. No port forwarding needed :-)

- Although I do use DynDNS to link to my Florida remote (1st RR1258 set), I do not use it for my internal network setup I am configuring (2nd RR1258 set).

I will try you suggestions and report back.