Author Topic: WebSwitch 1216H Initial Setup  (Read 6298 times)

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
WebSwitch 1216H Initial Setup
« on: 2018-09-29, 21:07:30 »
I purchased a 1216H three years ago and didn't use it.  I have a RCU1216L on the way and now want to configure the WebSwitch unit.  Where do I find the initial setup procedure for the Webswitch 1216H?   O looked carefully on the website but cant find it there.  PLease advise

Frank VO1HP
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: WebSwitch 1216H Initial Setup
« Reply #1 on: 2018-09-30, 03:46:46 »
Frank, try this:
http://www.webswitch.se/wp/

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-09-30, 05:08:10 »
Thanks Mitch

Yes I have seen this page.  In playing around with the web switch using Microbit Setup Manager I discovered that I had already interfaced it to my network at the time of purchase.  How time flies.   I am able to access the webpage without USB connection using the IP address.  So I guess that's it?   

I understand the relay connections and how to use...but not clear on what STATUS means on the Relay 5 label.   Also not clear on connections 9 to 14 - Bus A/B  and IN1/2?  The hook up for the rotator control board is well explained so maybe it will go Ok when I receive the board and start to hook it up.

Anything you can add re the BUS and IN connections will be helpful

Frank VO1HP
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-09-30, 06:53:14 »
Hi Frank,

Yes, that's it. More straightforward than the RRC, just a web page to forward and use.

I have used the Webswitch for rotor control and its relays for raising and lowering my tower, turning on
my amplifier, etc. I have not used the functions you ask, so I will have to pass to Mike or someone else
that knows that part better than me.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2018-09-30, 17:29:33 »
Thanks Mitch...Just discovered the built in help pages in the web switch browser page(upper right corner)....these pages have clarified  a few things for me.  I didn't realize before that the web switch has the ability to change antenna relays based on freq of operation of the rig.   It has a built in serial port through the USB connector I guess.  Couldn't discover yet the details yet of how to set it up

Thanks for your help

Frank VO1HP
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2018-09-30, 18:04:22 »
Hi Frank,

The Webswitch is the only Microbit device with a serial port server. You set it up on the last tab with the
Microbit Setup Manager. Then you can control the rotor using a Windows client instead of using the web
page (but not both at once). The Webswitch is still using the normal way of controlling the rotor and not
using USB.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VO1HP

• View Profile
    • VO1HP
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2018-10-04, 00:15:30 »
Thanks Mitch...Each reply you give me is appreciated but also causes me to want to know more!....I have played with the webswitch serial port and have it setup on my control point PC.   When I move the switch to my remote location how do I use the serial port remotely?...In order to set the serial port up at the remote it needs to be plugged into USB port and will appear in the device manager on the remote PC.   But then what?...how can I control it from home?

Is there an application note available anywhere that can guide me through the serial port use?

My primary objective here is not really the serial port ... it is control of the rotator  and possibly switch one coaxial relay to provide for a 4th antenna port in addition to the three I have available from the KAT500.   I can see how to do both of these functions using the web browser pages.

Frank VO1HP
Frank
VO1HP
K3Mini-K3-RemoteRig

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2018-10-04, 00:27:10 »
Hi Frank,

I believe the serial port server only is for the rotor and nothing else on the Webswitch, so it is
useless for you, sorry.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2018-10-04, 22:33:32 »
Hi the serialport server can be used for what ever you want. if you have the serial adapter 1216S conencted to the WS, you can connect a virtual serialport from the PC to the WS. There is no controlsignals just RXD and TXD.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2018-10-05, 01:12:39 »
Hi Mike,

That is interesting, but what kind of Windows client software can be used for relays? I was able to make it work fine
with a rotor using normal rotor clients, but it would be nice to understand how to switch relays as well.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2018-10-05, 08:04:20 »
Im not follow now, the relays can not be controlled via the serialport server. They can only be controlled by the webinterface

73 de mike