RRC 1258 Support in English > General discussion forum

Remote Use

(1/2) > >>

N7UVZ:
Ok, I am going to re-try and see if I can get my units up and running...................may be  :-\

One thing I have NOT gotten straight is how I am supposed to be able to connect the Remote unit up to the internet from a Hotel/Motel room THAT DOES NOT RPT NOT  have any wired connection?  Hotels/Motels now go with Wireless inter net and I can't see how the remote unit is going to be able to connect when it ONLY comes with a Ethernet connection.  If I get another wi-fi card for the remote, how does it connect to the Model wi-fi when I have no way to log in to their system?

If I am at a Friends house I realize that I can hook up with their system.  It is just when on the road that I can't figure out! :o

If I can get this straitened out I may go and try using the dns service that I found in the new manual I downloaded.  Which package should I get?  Do I need just the "one zone, fifty record" setup?

Thanks,

Chuck
N7UVZ

dj0qn:
Chuck,

Actually your question was covered quite a few times. If you search for "hotel", you will find quite a number of
tips on how to use the RRC in a hotel or hotspot situation.

The short answer is just attach a portable WiFi bridge that has an ethernet port to the RRC. You first book this into
the hotel network using a PC, then move it over to the RRC. There are a few on the market and most pocket routers
will also function in bridge mode.

To answer the question about DNS service; I think you are asking about a dynamic DNS service. The answer here is that
no extra service is required. The RRC has a free service from RemoteRig built-in under the  dynamic DNS settings.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

N7UVZ:
Mitch:

Well I went and bought a WNCE2001 for my use on the road!!!  It came today and I went and connected it to my home router to make certain it would do as requested.  It worked as advertised ! !!   All I had to do was to remember to turn off my wirless connection... ::)          Thanks for mentioning that you use one on the road, it made things a lot easier

Now to set it up for the RRC system.   :D

One question I have is in using the DynDNS service.  In the latest version of the Manual you say that "old" users can get the service for free, but, "new" users have to pay the $7 per month for the service.

Question is..............how does one tell if he is a "old or new" user??

Getting closer and closer to being on the air...............................

Chuck
N7UVZ

dj0qn:
Hi Chuck,

Glad you got the WNCE2001 working. I thought they no longer made those, so I am not sure where
you managed to dig that one up.

I am not sure if you are interpreting the manual correctly, or if it was incorrect, but let me try to explain:
the RRC's previously only used the DynamicDNS service from dyndns.org. It used to be free, but then they
started to charge for it. Therefore, Microbit created their own dynamic DNS service for their devices, which
is free and included. You can toggle between the two services in the menu. So just use Microbit's service and
you will be fine.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

N7UVZ:
Mitch:

You are right that they don't make that on any more but I found one "new in the Box" on ebay!!  Very happy with it................

Ok, I will go back ad re-read the manual.  I missed that it was now included.   ::)  That will make things much easier!

Back to the Book!!!

Chuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version