Author Topic: RRC1258 and secure communications ...  (Read 6817 times)

rikpal

• View Profile
    • Email
RRC1258 and secure communications ...
« on: 2011-02-12, 20:26:39 »
Is there any way to protect the communication between two RRCs? I mean apart from the password.
I imagine that if I use the PPC Client, I can go through a VPN, since I use a PC, but what about when do I use 2 RRC? I'v to expose to the router the 3 ports, but communications are not encrypted. Am I correct?
regards.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: RRC1258 and secure communications ...
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-12, 20:53:55 »
Almost all routers can be setup to create a VPN tunnel between two routers often using IPSEC, so it's no problem to build a secured setup.

But why bother if it's used for ham radio all audio will be sent out over the air for everyone to listen to ?

73 de mike

Chris DL5NAM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-12, 22:02:49 »
 ;)... and it will be Ham like to sign a thread with a name or call sign - or is this also very secure, HI

Am I correct?

73 Chris
DL5NAM

rikpal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-13, 04:38:23 »
Almost all routers can be setup to create a VPN tunnel between two routers often using IPSEC, so it's no problem to build a secured setup.

But why bother if it's used for ham radio all audio will be sent out over the air for everyone to listen to ?

73 de mike

You are right, but this assumes that on the control side you have full control of th router and this is not the case when you are travelling and for example you connect from a Hotel.

rikpal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-02-13, 04:42:41 »
;)... and it will be Ham like to sign a thread with a name or call sign - or is this also very secure, HI

Am I correct?

73 Chris
DL5NAM

Chris, you are right with regard to the communication itself, but I'm concerned about the rig that is exposed on internet without any type of protection and you know there are guys, which hobby is to penetrate firewalls. basically the web pages, also if you change the port 80 are completely exposed (password without encryptions is not very strong) and they can easily access your rig. this is my real concern.
any suggestion?
cheers.

es3at

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-02-15, 11:55:49 »
Chris, you are right with regard to the communication itself, but I'm concerned about the rig that is exposed on internet without any type of protection and you know there are guys, which hobby is to penetrate firewalls. basically the web pages, also if you change the port 80 are completely exposed (password without encryptions is not very strong) and they can easily access your rig. this is my real concern.
any suggestion?
cheers.
Why You need open web port to internet? If setup is done then You dont need it. Or if for some reason it is needed then I use ssh tunnel for this.

rikpal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2011-02-16, 04:57:42 »
what I mean is the following, but I could be wrong, missing something...
you can use vpn or ssh if you have (on the control side) a pc (so you are using the ppc client) or do you have a full control on the router (and this is not the case if you're traveling and if you connect for example from a hotel). now, if you use as control unit a rrc1258 and you do not have a full control over the router on the control side (see above example), than, you have to open the 3 connection ports on your router at home (radio side), otherwise, how could you connect to your rrc at home side?
am I wrong on something? ???

es3at

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-02-16, 14:25:34 »
RRC uses 5 ports, telnet, web, SIP, UDP CMD, UDP AUDIO.
Only SIP, UDP CMD and UDP AUDIO is needed for remote control.
I never open/forward webserver/telnet port to internet. And I can work with without problem, I dont have PC client.
If I need change something in my radioside config then anyway I need some PC/notebook for this and
then vpn/ssh tunnel for this is no problem.

rikpal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2011-02-17, 12:24:02 »
I understand your point.
this is ok, nevertheless, you still need to open some ports.
cheers.