RRC 1258 Support in English > General discussion forum

Missing virtual drivers

<< < (3/3)

dj0qn:
Hi Phil,

Here are my comments:

- Like I said, you don't have to waste your time trying all ports. Only COM22 (COM1) is the one
that should work for CAT, assuming the "USB COM PORT as COM1" is set to YES.

- Where I am puzzled is that you have the radio RRC COM1 set to 9600, but the control RRC COM1
set to 38.6k. As far as I understand, these must be identical, because the radio COM1 is "transmitting"
CAT to the control side COM1. I therefore do not understand why the control CAT works at all, but maybe
my assumption is wrong (Mike, maybe you can comment?). Just to play safe, you may wish to change either
the radio COM1 to 38.6 or the control side to 9600 and see if that solves the problem.

- I think you are getting virtual and "real" serial ports confused from what you wrote. You are only interesting
in using one of two ports, depending upon if you use the USB or Keyspan cable. As above, COM22 would be used
under USB and COM17 (?) would be used with the Keyspan if "USB COM PORT as COM1" is set to NO. What is
referred to as COM1 is the RRC's internal COM1, which would never be the same used by any computer program.
That is why you are told that COM1 is blocked, since it is non-existent.

- I do not know why you can not send CW, however I can tell you that the program must be set to send CW over CAT
for it to work at all. I do not know N1MM and can't tell you more. There is however a work-around: use the Winkeyer
emulation instead. Set N1MM to use Winkeyer with COM25. Make sure that COM3/COMEXTRA in your RRC's serial
settings are set to Winkeyer.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w3hzz:
Thanks again, Mitch

COM1 is (and has always been) set to 9600. Sorry if I misled you or made a typo.

Right now I have a Serial cable and Keyspan Serial USB connected between the Radio RRC and Radio computer. That shows up as COM42. I am able to connect with both my logging programs, however, with N1MM+ I am unable to send CW from the program. This is confusing because at the CONTROL RRC, with a USB cable connected to the Control computer, I am able to send CW from N1MM+. At the CONTROL RRC I have USB to COM1 set to YES. 

I have toggled the USB to COM1 to NO at CONTROL and found that at the RADIO RRC, it makes no difference. I still can control the K3 through the logging program at RADIO site.  Do you know if I must use USB for both CONTROL and RADIO or can I have CONTROL RRC using USB at COM1 (set to YES and running USB cable) and run Serial cable at RADIO RRC?

Right now I am thinking my problem lies with my set up of N1MM+. I will search the forum for others' experiences.

THanks,
Phil, W3HZZ

W1UE:
Phil- I have the same setup that you do, and I can tell you it works fine.  First off, a tip- ditch the USB cable that goes from the computer to the Control RRC.  I think its just confusing the issue.

Install the USB to serial cable, and make note of that Com port number.  That is the comport number that you will use in N1MM.  Forget all the others.

I have my serial cable going to Com1 of the Control RRC.  I have nothing connected to Com2 of the Control RRC.  The K3/0 is connected to the Control RRC via the TTL cable.

Don't bother with trying to key the K3/0 via the RTS or DTR lines.  I have not had success using it. 

Also keep in mind, if you are looking at the baud rate of the K3/0, you can't have it connected to the Remote unit over the internet.  If you do, you are looking at the baud rate of the K3 at the remote site!

Try it again with the above in mind.  As I said, this setup works fine for me here.  Made 542 QSOs via it during the ARRL 160m contest this weekend so far.

Dennis W1UE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version