Author Topic: Reliable antenna tuner for remote with TS480SAT  (Read 4465 times)

sm2otu

• View Profile
    • Email
Reliable antenna tuner for remote with TS480SAT
« on: 2018-11-26, 21:38:43 »
I use a TS480SAT with my Remoterig. As my remotesite is 185 km away from home, I am looking for a reliable external antenna tuner. (the built-in has limitations for some of my antennas)
I have an MFJ993B that I use with my IC7300 when not running remote. That tuner works OK but in itīs present configuration, needs to be restarted after the IC7300 has been powered on. Or else the MFJ will not tune. (running the tuner control cable via a webswitch would probably solve the issue, but I am considering a separate tuner as I donīt want to change all the antennas and tuners every time I am there)

So, those of you who have tried a successful setup of an external tuner, please share.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Reliable antenna tuner for remote with TS480SAT
« Reply #1 on: 2018-11-27, 03:55:57 »
This may or may not help you, but I have used SPE Expert amps for several years, which have
built-in ATU's, as well as antenna switches. Makes remoting much easier and I love these amps.

I also know that the Elecraft ATU KAT500 is remotable, but is better used with a K3 and obviously
only goes to 500 watts.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2otu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-11-27, 17:47:41 »
Thanks Mitch but it feels like overkill right now.

VK3ALB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-11-27, 20:13:00 »
I use a LDG AT-100Pro with my 480SAT. I change the rig to set a PF key to transmit low power (10W). Press once to turn on, a second time to turn off. The LDG auto-tunes no problem and you can see when it's finished from the meter on the rig.

No need for an interface cable but I do power the tuner from the AT300 connector on the back of the rig.

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Lou
VK3ALB

sm2otu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2018-11-27, 23:57:42 »
Thanks Lou
Ordered the at200pro II today. Will try it this weekend when I travel up north

VK3ALB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2018-11-28, 20:25:10 »
Wow such a quick decision. Spend some time reading the manual and make sure you set the tuner to remember each tuning spot.

I use a 40m long doublet with about 6m of open wire feeder. I found the AT100 was able to cope with much more difficult loads than the internal tuner. With this arrangement I can get a match on all bands including 160m. Of course, this says nothing about the performance of the antenna but at least I can transmit all bands.

Good luck.

Lou
VK3ALB

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Lou
VK3ALB

sm2otu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2018-11-28, 21:44:50 »
I had to make a quick decision Lou  :) Explanation follows below:
I wouldnīt say my life is complicated but I now own the house my parents had. My dad passed away 2 years ago and my mom is now at elderly care as she has Alzheimers. So my long time buddy SM2LKW, 2 summers ago suggested I should start erecting antennas again at "Stonelake Village" above the arctic circle. I had too many others things on my mind, but all it took to convince me was a visit to his cottage where I saw his 7300 and Elecraft PA. My XYL passed away 5 years ago and I have a 12 y/o son. My new GF lives south of me. So when I have to make a trip to Stonelake Village this weekend to meet a client of mine, I really want to try a new antenna tuner. Or else I have to wait until Xmas before I go and see my mom and take her home for Xmas eve over the day. (and work in my shack on xmas day) I am hoping I can tune my LW40 on 160 with an external ATU. I know it isnīt a big cannon, but I have only worked 20 countries on 160 and in the late evenings and nights you can  only trust 80 and 40 top be open.
Remote QTH is 187 km from here. Temp there today has been minus 12 C but still no snow. Luleå where i Live is by the coast at the Guld Of Bothnia and is usually a little warmer.

So Lou, really appreciate your feedback and you helped me to a quick decision.  Feels like this reply to you here in this forum has a rag-chew-warning over it :-)

73 from Lulea and SM2OTU Conny

VK2DAG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2019-02-26, 08:39:33 »
When I went down the remote rig path I decided I needed a TS-480.  I found a used HTX which has no tuner but the sale came with the AT200Pro, which is the 200 watt model.  Neat fix.  I normally hang resonate antennas for each band and haven't really need a tuner.  Now that my "rig" is over 350 km away it's nice to have the tuner until I get my antennas sorted out.

It has worked without a hitch.  As Lou said I press the PF button and it tunes in a few seconds.  Good kit.

Matt  -VK2DAG-