Author Topic: RTTY 'true' FSK keying on RemoteRig  (Read 5695 times)

N6IE

• View Profile
    • Email
RTTY 'true' FSK keying on RemoteRig
« on: 2011-02-16, 21:02:18 »
I'm looking for an easy way to key FSK (not AFSK) from my computer on the control end to the FSK keying input to the radio on the remote end.  I'm already using the I/O channels for CW Dits, Dahs and computer key "straight key", but I do have COM 0 and COM 1 available.  I'm not controlling the radio (Orion II) through the RemoteRig...it is controlled via a local computer with VNC on remote end.  Is there any way to use the COM ports for 'true' FSK RTTY?

Thanks,
Ron

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: RTTY 'true' FSK keying on RemoteRig
« Reply #1 on: 2011-02-20, 15:11:35 »
If you are using VNC , why not start for example mmtty on remote pc like I do ?
it works better (no drops) then via the comports because
there will be never a delay when FSK is generated there .

Guy ON4AOI

N6IE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-02-21, 02:53:21 »
That's one of the options I was considering and that would certainly work, but since I do a lot of RTTY contesting, that would mean operating Win-Test or N1MM over VNC.  Today, I found what may be the best solution of all: K4DSP designed a very simple AFSK to FSK converter that could be placed at the remote site.  The information, operational theory and schematic are available at:

http://k4dsp.homeip.net/~doug/regenerator/

Audio out of the control site computer can be sent down the RemoteRig audio channel and converted to keying closures for the radio, delivering true FSK.  For about $10 USD in parts and a couple of hour's work, this seems like a good way to go.  I'm surprised a device like this isn't available on the market!

Ron
N6IE

AE6RR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-02-22, 16:15:33 »
You could use one of the COM ports if microbit changed the allowable setting to provide 45.45 baud and stop bits of 1 for Rx and 1.5 for Tx.  The drop down menu already supports 5-bits.

- Craig, AE6RR