Author Topic: Consider Google DNS for Dynamic DNS Provider  (Read 4963 times)

n6ldj

• View Profile
Consider Google DNS for Dynamic DNS Provider
« on: 2018-12-03, 19:12:00 »
I used Dyndns for years; it was free when I started but was astonished to find that they wanted $55 annually now.  Shame on me for using auto-pay and ignoring their price increases.  We are done.         

Microbit might consider adding Google DNS - looks to be a straightforward protocol.     

https://support.google.com/domains/answer/6147083?hl=en#

I already had a domain URL for my email through Google (only $10/yr.) - they allow you to use your own domain instead if having to use one of theirs.  Really simple to setup, and allows you to enter your own static IP for address and associate it with a domain URL.   Simply add and "A record".     

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Consider Google DNS for Dynamic DNS Provider
« Reply #1 on: 2018-12-03, 22:00:32 »
Why don't you just use the free one that is included with the RRC?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

n6ldj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-12-04, 02:17:23 »
That remains an option.  But I will take a guess that their server is not in North America, so this may not be as reliable.  Also, remote radio sites are hours away; if we lose access, its a good part of the day to get there and back.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2018-12-04, 03:26:44 »
Myself and thousands of other users have been using it for years without a problem. However,
if you prefer to pay, then that is your choice.

Does the IP number get changed so often at the remote site that it is critical? Do you have a router
at the remote site that has Dynamic DNS built-in, e.g. No-IP which is also free? That can be used as
a fallback if that is your concern.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

n6ldj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2018-12-05, 01:59:11 »
I am paying for Google Domain anyways so no effective cost to me.  Routers are all Mikrotik with nothing built-in without add-in scripts.  But since they were supporting a commercial service like Dyn, I figured Google might a be a good replacement given their current market dominance.