Author Topic: TS-480 control connected but no screen  (Read 3995 times)

ne1la

• View Profile
    • Email
TS-480 control connected but no screen
« on: 2019-02-04, 03:10:54 »
I have the radio and the control in the same network. Port 13000 - 13003 is open. SIP ALG is off on the router. I even put the control side on DMZ. The system seems to be connected. The control side will beep once and the yellow light on the aux/mic are both solid yellow/orange. Status are both ok on both box but the control head is not turning on. If I connect the control to the radio directly and turn it on, it will turn on. I will connect the box in between after that and the status on tha radio side will show that it's on, but the control still wont turn on. I'm out of my wits on this one.

I have the system for a while now. It used to work in network and remotely before. I put my radio stuff away and now I'm setting it up and having this problem. Don't know if I damaged the RRC. I noticed that if I put the wifi module on the control box, it won't turn on. But if I put it on the radio box, it works. I'm thinking that something is wrong with the control box. Any help is surely appreciated.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: TS-480 control connected but no screen
« Reply #1 on: 2019-02-04, 04:09:01 »
Looks like the two RRC's are connected, so you must have a wiring problem. The most common problem
that people have when they experience this is by using the wrong type of cable between the RRC and TS-480
control panel. It looks like a standard telephone RJ12 cable, but it isn't. It must have all wires connected,
commonly known as a 6P6C (6 pin, 6 connected) cable.

If you do have the correct cable(s), then you must have a wiring problem elsewhere.

Note that you do not need to place the control RRC in the DMZ, or even forward its ports. Within the same network,
port forwarding has no effect, anyway. If you need help getting things working when you move outside of your network,
my networking checklist will help you out. Just drop me a mail to dj0qn (at) darc.de and I will send it to you.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

ne1la

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-02-04, 04:24:20 »
Thanks Mitch. I know for sure that I have the correct cables. I doubled check all the jumpers on both RRC's and the configuration is right according to the manual. I know that there were 2 types of config for the TS-480. I will double check it again and probably something came loose. If it is right, is there any more place that I should check? Thanks again for the quick reply Mitch.

Aris

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-02-04, 05:19:11 »
Hi Aris,

I have had others tell me that they were sure that the cables were good, but it turned out to be a
cable. Do me a favor and try each one directly between the control panel and TS-480 body without
the RRC's and see if they both work ok. The problem you are experiencing is exactly like you describe,
so maybe one of the cables is broken.

The red straps and the two type apply to the microphone pinout/audio and would have no effect on if
panel works or not.

The only thing I can think of offhand is that you are plugged into wrong jack on the RRC somewhere, but
then it wouldn't connect if that were to be the case.

There could also be some settings wrong, so if you mail them to me, I can see if I notice anything wrong.
Use the export to HTML function for both RRC's and send to my e-mail listed before if you want. I have seen
hundreds of these and notice problems quickly.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

ne1la

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-02-04, 06:31:32 »
Thanks Mitch. That's the first thing I did was to test the separation cables. Both separation cables are kenwood original and are working when I hook the control to the radio. I will do the html export tomorrow night and send it to your email. Thanks again.

Aris

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-02-04, 06:34:43 »
OK, Aris, I just wanted to make sure.

The reason is that the EU version of the TS-480 includes two original Kenwood separation cables.
but the US version only includes one cable. It is very common that in the US, people that buy this
assume that this is a regular telephone cable, which it is not. Since I assumed that you were in the
US, I assumed that you only received one original cable.

I will look for your mail tomorrow and see if I see something wrong.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

ne1la

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-02-05, 03:47:18 »
That's correct Mitch. I have a cable that's about 7 feet long and one that is a foot long. I emailed you my RRC settings. Thanks for your time Mitch.

Aris

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2019-02-05, 13:53:38 »
Hi Aris,

I sent you a mail back yesterday: you have the setting for COM0 wrong. You need to
change it on both RRC's to 57600 baud to make it work.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

ne1la

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2019-02-06, 04:18:41 »
Thanks for letting me know Mitch. For some reason, it ended up in the spam folder. Will Try it. Thanks.

ne1la

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2019-02-06, 04:53:27 »
Thank you so much Mitch. You're a Godsend. It now turns on. Now the problem is that every time I turn it off, it turns back on by itself. No biggie. I'm just happy that it turns on. I was worried that one of the boards was fried. thank you again.

Aris

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2019-02-06, 06:26:13 »
Glad you got it working, Aris.

I don't have your file any more to check, but that problem is caused by the setting "auto connect"
under the radio settings being set to YES. Make sure this is set to NO.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

ne1la

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2019-02-08, 04:08:34 »
That was the problem. I put NO on the auto connect and everything is well now. I'm gonna check your list for the remote setup and see if I can get it going. Thanks Mitch for all the help.

Aris