Author Topic: TP-Link 802WR bridge no longer works; recs for E-net to wireless adapter?  (Read 2507 times)

K9IR

• View Profile
    • Email
I would appreciate recommendations for a reliable ethernet to wireless adapter, as I'm having issues with what I bought -- see below and my separate update to my post.

I bought a TP-LINK 802WR Nano router to use in Client mode as a way to connect RR both at home (to avoid having to run a very long ethernet cable to a convenient operating position) and from places like Starbuck's, etc. The 802 is reported to be used frequently to connect ethernet only devices to a wireless network, so it seemed like a good option.

Yesterday I got the 802 connected to my home wireless, then to the RR Control box, and connected successfully to the remote station.

This morning, the system no longer connects with the 802, but does work if I go back to a direct hard wire connection to my home router. The Control box shows a steady green light on the front when connected to the 802. There must be something with the 802 not working right, but I'm not sure what.

The Control box Status page reports the following after an unsuccessful connection attempt with the 802:
1. Connection status: Faulty
2. SIP status: Connected/transferring
3. RTP/UDP audio status: Stalled (6) [the number varies - I've seen 24 and 19 also]
4. UDP cmd status: Error

I can hear the remote head for the TS-480 make the single beep preliminary to firing up, but the display remains dark. Shortly thereafter I here another single beep.

I tried the following t-shoot steps:
1. Reset the Control box.
2. Reset the Radio box
3. Reset the 802 from scratch to connect to the home network, etc.
4. Tested with a different ethernet cable
5. Verified the 802 config - it is getting its IP from the home router, and its own internal DHCP server is disabled. I can ping the 802 using the IP address my router assigned to the 802.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend an ethernet to wifi adapter at a reasonable price point that has worked reliably? There are some decently priced pre-owned Netgear WCNE2001 units for sale on eBay. I know many are using the 2001 with RR, but some comments on this forum suggest surprise that gear this "old" would still work, so I don't know if that's the way to go.

I've tried an IOGEAR GWU627 that worked with a BluRay player, but it appears to have joined its companions as now DOA. The GWU637 gets similar reports for eventual mortality (many reports indicate it runs hot, not good for long life).

Ideas welcome. Thanks!

73 Paula k9ir
« Last Edit: 2019-02-04, 16:30:36 by K9IR »

K9IR

• View Profile
    • Email
UPDATE: a-a-and the problem is back, after I turned everything off and moved the system to the more comfortable OP. I suppose I could just keep changing the ports anytime I need to use this, but seems that shouldn't be necessary.

Still VERY interested in recommendations for a reliable ethernet to wireless adapter!!

Changed port numbers, now all connects again ;-). Will see how long this lasts.... (apparently not long!)

73 Paula k9ir
« Last Edit: 2019-02-04, 16:34:30 by K9IR »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Paula,

I am not up to date, but I would think that anything would be fine. I have been using a
WNCE2001 for many years without a problem.

I recently bought a cheap GLiNet router as a portable VPN router. It also has a bridge mode
which can be changed with a physical switch on the side. I tested it with the RRC and it works
just fine.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K9IR

• View Profile
    • Email
Mitch, yesterday the TP-Link fired up immediately, not even 5 minutes from unboxing to running. I was thrilled.

Today a different story, and I can't imagine what happened. Our router is relatively new (I know Comcast tends to squeeze every last day out of the gear it rents), but maybe changing to a different one when we're off contract later this year will resolve this issue.

73 Paula k9ir

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Paula,

I suspect that you have a flaky router. I don't think you have to wait until your contract is up to return a
router, that applies only to the service itself. maybe you should bite the bullet and buy your own modem
and router (some also have telephone support, look at the Xfinity website). Worst case, you save money
after it amortizes.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX