Author Topic: Remote Rig and HRD  (Read 3993 times)

VE7VR

• View Profile
Remote Rig and HRD
« on: 2019-02-07, 05:28:31 »
Hello

I am sure the answer is in the forum somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I have a FT1000MP-MKV connected using the RRC boxes and all works well. It receives and transmits. The control RRC is connected to the computer with a USB-serial converter (com2). I have the latest version of HRD and want to use it to control the functions of the FT1000. There are only 2 com ports showing up and neither of them works. How do I get HRD to connect with the remote COM2 at the radio box?

Thanks Dave VE7VR

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Remote Rig and HRD
« Reply #1 on: 2019-02-07, 06:36:51 »
Hi Dave,

I am not sure what you mean by "all works well". Are you saying it works remotely? If so, how? I am
not sure if I understand how you are controlling it if you can't get HRD to work.

Are you using an external USB to serial converter instead of the RRC's internal USB to serial converter?
If so, you can either use a normal USB cable instead and set COM2 to "Use USB Com Port as COM2 to YES.
If you want to continue to use a separate converter, then "Use USB Com Port as COM2" must be set to NO,
since it thinks you are using a real serial cable. Also, make sure the cable has an FTDI chipset instead of
Prolific to make it more reliable (I would just eliminate it and use a USB cable instead).

Otherwise, I assume you know to set Program mode to mode-3. Also I assume that you put a REAL serial cable
between the FT-1000's CAT port and the radio RRC's COM2. A USB converter cable will NOT work on the radio
side and the setting "Use USB Com Port as COM2" must be set to NO.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE7VR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-02-07, 07:26:43 »
Hi Mitch

I have the remote side in the same room as the control side so I can see what is happening until I get HRD working. I have audio and can transmit so the RRC boxes are working.

I have an external USB-serial adaptor between a USB port on the computer and com2 of the control box with FTDI chip set.

Setting program mode to mode 3? Does that mean on the serial settings page that COM2 mode should be Mode 3, char-timeout rather than Mode 4?

Yes a real serial cable is in place on the radio RRC to radio port.

Dave

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-02-07, 15:02:15 »
Hi

The FT-1000 CPU is very slow so a CAT message can be splited in several small parts, To take care of this set "char timeout" to 60 ms at the serial port settings

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-02-07, 16:26:23 »
Hi Dave,

I was referring to radio mode-3, Mike added comments on the serial port mode.

I am not sure why you are using a USB to serial adapter and not the internal one, but if you insist,
then it will only work when "Use USB Com Port as COM2" is set to NO. This was obviously your problem
as you described seeing two virtual ports in Windows, which can not be used in that configuration. These
ports are only for when you use a standard USB cable.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE7VR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2019-02-07, 23:53:56 »
Thanks again Mitch and Mike

I changed the COM2 mode to mode 3 in both boxes and matched all the baud rates and it is now happy and working...still using the COM2 serial port with an external USB adaptor just because I happen to have it. I am only using this archaic FT1000 as a remote radio because my TS-480 is in the hospital for a week or more.

You may recall Mitch that I have the Ubiquiti WiFi installation on the high rise roof location. Works great but local noise is an issue sometimes. Having >100 local neighbours will do that.

73, Dave VE7VR