Author Topic: WiFi nodes  (Read 5273 times)

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
WiFi nodes
« on: 2019-02-14, 20:34:56 »
I successfully use a Verizon JetPack for WiFi connections while traveling. Today I attempted to connect to a Wifi network in a resort. The site is password protected ... I scanned for nodes, found the one desired and entered the password in the Microbit ap ... all exactly as I do with the JetPack. However, I can’t get the 1258 to connect. The signal strength of the node is -65 ... the JetPack is stronger, about -35. Thoughts? Perhaps the issue is on the resort end but thought I would begin by asking here.

K7FL
Las Vegas

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: WiFi nodes
« Reply #1 on: 2019-02-15, 02:46:58 »
The JetPack is a portable hotspot that you own and uses only a WPA passwort for authentication.

If you use a public hotspot anywhere, such as a hotel, you will need to click or enter something on
a web page that comes from the Radius Server in that network. The RRC WiFi module does NOT
support that, it only supports WiFi that doesn't require a Radius Server authentication. You would instead
need an external WiFi extender/bridge with an ethernet connector to make it work without a problem.

If you search this forum for the keyword "hotel" or similar, you will find a lot of discussion on this subject.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-02-15, 05:23:14 »
Thanks Mitch. I am aware of those sites, but this network has no secondary T&C screen. I’ll chat with the webmaster of the site.

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-02-16, 22:30:26 »
Hi Mitch, et al

I confirmed with my resort website tech support that they see no reason why the RemoteRig won’t connect to their network. Of course, they are unfamiliar with the RemoteRig but they had me connect (successfully) with my available devices (iPad, iPhone, Samsung phone, tablets and my Windows 10 pc via their network. As stated before, I see the resort WiFi nodes in Microbit ... but it never connects.

I thought I’d try to connect the Microbit to the windows 10 pc, enabled as a hotspot. I confirmed the hotspot worked by connecting it to my cell phone and iPad. But, I don’t see the windows 10 pc hotspot on the WiFi list within Microbit. It shouldn’t be a signal strength issue as the two devices are only a meter apart.

Any other ideas/tests I can try?

I wouldn’t be expending all the energy, except we will be at this resort for several months, and their bandwidth is far superior to my usual connection method.

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-02-16, 22:33:32 »
Oh, I had missed part of your earlier message Mitch ... disregard my last post.
Dennis

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-02-17, 15:33:26 »
Ok, Dennis, does this mean that you found the problem?

Also note that the internal WiFi card only has 2.4 GHz WiFi. If you also need 5 GHz, then
you for sure need an external WiFi bridge.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-02-17, 21:35:54 »
The local internet provider reports that UDP packets are not permitted on their network. Maybe that’s why I can see their network, select in Microbit (where the remote rig reports it’s connected), but the RemoteRig green LED continually flashes. Make sense?

I think I’m stuck using my Verizon JetPacks...

Thanks Mitch,
Dennis

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2019-02-17, 21:42:57 »
 Hi Dennis,

Actually no, it doesn't make sense. Blocking UDP packets would prevent RemoteRig from working, but would have no effect on booking into a WiFi router.

UDP is standard for all streaming, so it can't be blocked. They can maybe block outgoing packets, but some VoIP and video apps wouldn't work.

Bottom line is they are telling you b.s.

Mitch DJ0QN  / K7DX

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2019-02-17, 21:50:15 »
Thanks ... its okay ...I’ll stay with the JetPack. It seems to be the only WiFi source that works reliably wherever I travel. I’m just tired and frustrated having to troubleshoot WiFi stuff every time I go to a new hotel, airport or business.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2019-02-17, 22:12:20 »
.......or just break down and spend $20 for a Wifi extender/bridge.

Mitch DJ0QN  / K7DX