Author Topic: Lost connection every few days  (Read 3165 times)

9Y4W

• View Profile
    • Email
Lost connection every few days
« on: 2019-03-02, 08:55:21 »
Hi guys
I run a TS480 configuration for the last few years.
As long as my ISP gave me DSL to use, everything was fine.
Since i got fibre, the connection between control RRC and radio RRC fails every few days.
Whenever that happens, i can't even access the web server. Not even from my LAN.
Only remedy is a hard reset of the radio RRC.
The only change in my configuration was to go on port 80 instead of 8080, which i was using before.
The new router doesn't allow it anymore.
Any ideas ?

9Y4W

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lost connection every few days
« Reply #1 on: 2019-03-02, 09:00:56 »
P.S.
The following system message is created, when the problem pops up.

Data Abort at 0x000541b0, called by 0x0000a9c4

I have no idea what that means  ;)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-03-04, 18:40:22 »
Hi Andy,

It could be a number of things that happened when you changed your ISP.

- What ports are you using? Have you tried changing them? 5060 is often blocked if you have an old installation.
- Is SIP ALG turned off in the new router?
- I am not sure why a hard reset of the RRC would be necessary. A simple reboot would work fine. Have you tried rebooting
the router instead? Does that solve the problem as well?
- Have you tried to use the DMZ instead of port forwards? Sometimes that works much better. Just make sure that port 23 is changed.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

9Y4W

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-03-05, 17:44:11 »
Hi Mitch,
Nice to see my old radio club comrade here.
I am using the default ports 80, 23, 13000, 13001 and 13002.
SIP ALG is turned off.
When the radio RRC sticks, i can't even access it from my LAN to initiate a reset.
192.168.1.228 does not respond then.
I have not tried to change ports, as the control RRC is on the other island and the person there is not familiar with the configuration or how to change it. It's not an amateur radio application we are running here even though we are using an amateur radio transceiver for it.
I will first try to restart the router next time the problem pops up.
If i need to change ports, what are your recommendations  ?
Why is port 23 a problem and what to use instead ?

I would like to gather as much information as possible before i take a flight to Trinidad and change settings in the control RRC.

Andy 9Y4W
Ex DL4MEH

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-03-05, 19:52:56 »
Hi Andy,

Yes, it is a small world and a lot has changed since the years in C26 in Eching.

Before flying to the other island, I would just take over a PC on that network using Teamviewer and make any necessary
changes to the control RRC that way.

Port 23 should in general never be forwarded unless needed for debugging, but then get rid of the port forward thereafter.
I was however specifically taking about when you use the DMZ instead of forwarding to make sure it is changed.

I try to solve the problem in the following order:
- Restart the router to see if this helps
- Try using the DMZ instead of port forwards (but not both at the same time, so turn off the port forwards in that case). If it
   doesn't help, then you can reverse it.
- Try a different set of ports. I solved a similar problem recently by moving them to the 14000 range, but you can experiment.
   Use Teamviewer to make the changes on the control side at the same time.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

9Y4W

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-03-06, 19:19:11 »
Hi Mitch,
Meanwhile the system was sticking again, after 4 days of working without problems.
I tried rebooting the router, which didn't have any effect.
It appears to me that the RRC was sticking completely, i don't even get to address it on the LAN.
The watchdog is activated and programmed on the recommended time , but it seems to have no effect.
Before i go through all those experiments with changing ports, which would be a very long procedure ... is it possible that there is any hardware defect in the RRC ?

73 Andy 9Y4W

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-03-06, 21:16:47 »
Hi Andy,

A hardware defect is very rare with an RRC and is usually caused by lightening or similar. Since you said that
the problem started when you changed your ISP, then I am sure that your problem was caused by that.

One more thing you can try is using a different router. I have seen routers over the years not working properly,
most of which were supplied by the ISP used.

If you want to verify if your radio unit is working or not, I can try from here if you contact me off the forum and
send me the .BIN file to test with. Otherwise, you may contact Microbit in Sweden to get Mike's opinion.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

9Y4W

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2019-03-07, 19:21:00 »
Hi Mitch,
I need to explain the sequence of events a little more.
My system had been working flawlessly for a few years on a DSL based internet service.
One day the DSL modem went completely blank.
I called the ISP to provide a new modem, but instead, they offered to install fibre one time for no additional cost.
Of course i took the offer. The new service was installed, i programmed the port forwarding in the router and everything started back to work as normal. Except for the sporadic outages of the RRC.
I suspect, that when the old DSL modem failed, it may have been because of lightning or other overvoltage incident.
My concern is definitely that the RRC freezes up and completely. Not the router.
I'm not sure how a malfunctioning router could cause a piece of equipment connected to it by ethernet to freeze up.
I will also change the 12 Volts power supply to exclude this as a possible problem.
Please explain to me how to access the .BIN file you mentioned and provide your email address or phone contact for WhatsApp.

TNX de Andy 9Y4W

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2019-03-07, 19:27:28 »
Hi Andy,

I think my problem is that I do understand what you mean by "freezing". Maybe we can discuss this
in German so I understand what you mean.

You can contact me via WhatsApp at +491728374436 or email dj0qn (at) darc.de

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX