Author Topic: control unit locks up when powering it on.  (Read 14360 times)

AE7I

• View Profile
Re: control unit locks up when powering it on.
« Reply #15 on: 2012-09-27, 06:40:49 »
I will look into that possibility.  We are connecting into a microwave channel bank, so my knowledge of the system is not strong.  There may be a microwave hop that is somehow creating a problem.  It is my friend's communication site.  I will explore that possibility further.

Craig, AE7I

AE7I

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-10-04, 05:38:06 »
I am still having challenges with RemoteRig and my TS-480.  The control head locks up when I first turn it on.  The "HELLO" flash screen remains unchanged, a few seconds later the red light on the left of the Aux/MIC lights up, and I am unable to turn off the rig with the power button.

There are two ways I have managed to get it to turn on at this point:
1. Wait about 60 seconds, when the red light goes out, then unplug the TTL plug (control goes dead), then plug it back in, at which point the rig turns on normally.
2. Unplug the power to the RemoteRig Control unit, plug it back in, wait for it to fully boot, then turn on the rigs control head.

I made a video showing how it turns on AFTER I have power cycled the RemoteRig.  At that point, I turn the rig off, then try to turn it back on which shows the lock-up phenomenon.  http://www.ae7i.com/RemoteRig.html

This isn't just happening to me, but also to K7UI.  It happens regardless if we have it on a LAN or connected with a high speed data access (48 Mbs).

I suspect something between the TS-480s control head and the RemoteRig Control Unit has somehow changed with firmware revision.

Is it possible to use an older version of firmware to see if it corrects the issue?  Other suggestions??

Thanks,

Craig, AE7I
(and Dave, K7UI)

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2012-10-04, 07:37:59 »
If the red LED turns on the incomming audiostream is lost because the Internet connection is broken somewhere. The system will wait for 60s and if it comes up again during that time it will connect automatically, after 60 sec you have to connect manually. This has nothing to do with firmware version or the TS-480. You can test by bringning both units to same place. I would have tried with different routers if it always happens in the start and never after it once have connected.

73 de mike

AE7I

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-10-05, 05:18:00 »
"Since you have the same problem from more than one control
location, the problem is clearly there."

I will certainly look into that as a possibility, but would like to play "devil's advocate" (with limited in depth knowledge) and suggest the problem could also lie between the RemoteRig control and the TS-480.  If it was just a remote router, then I wouldn't be able to duplicate the problem in my home using my LAN.  It is quite confusing to me and I wish that there were more tools available to me - e.g. a blow by blow log of everything happening when I turn on the rig.

The remote site is part of Dave Mett's High Sierra Communications and his I.T. person suggested we focus on the RemoteRig Control to TS-480 control head, but I am open to any suggestions on how to debug this problem.

I suppose the next time is to bring the remote radio back to my home, hook it up to the LAN and see if the problem is duplicated here.  If so, then it seems unlikely that the remote site router is the problem.  If that is ruled out, then what would be my next step?  Any other valid diagnostic steps to consider?

Craig, AE7I

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2012-10-05, 10:12:56 »
Another way is to send me the details by mail and I will try from here. I can then tell
you more precisely where the problem probably lies. I have done this many times.

My direct mail is dj0qn (at) darc.de.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

TF3OM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2019-05-14, 15:37:42 »
Hi

I understand this is a very old thread, but as I have had exactly the same problem as Craig AE7I describes very well, I would like to learn if a solution has been found.

About two years ago I installed the remote part of a new TS-480 in my summer cottage near Geysir, about 100 km from my home QTH.  It has worked very well except for  the tedious startup procedure that is exactly aš Craig describes.

Recently I bought a second TS-480 control head and a second new control  RemoteRig box.  The intention is to use this when travelling or use it within the local network at my summer cottage.

As a test I have swapped both RemoteRig control boxes and both TS-480 control heads at my home home QTH but the startup problem is still there.

The latency/jitter in the link is stable max 45 ms as measured with the PingPlotter.

So again, has a solution been found?

Regards, Agust, tf30m

« Last Edit: 2019-05-14, 16:34:36 by TF3OM »