Author Topic: TS-480 Setup  (Read 14783 times)

K2OLO

• View Profile
TS-480 Setup
« on: 2011-03-03, 23:33:53 »
Hello,

I have been using remote rig in the standard configuration for many months with great success. I then purchased the MicroPC Client to use when I just have access to my laptop. I have success connecting to my remote site with the RRC software. My trouble is running any software for rig control. I have tried both ARCP480 and HRD with no luck (in Windows 7). The serial cable is installed at the radio site using Com2 I have the TS480 port settings set at both ends but I still get "unknown device or baud rate does not match" the baud rates are all set at 9600 including the setting on the radio. Just looking for where to go next. Any help is appreciated.

Paul
K2OLO

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: TS-480 Setup
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-04, 07:20:54 »
Hi

ARCP-480 do not work with the virtual com ports so you have to use HRD.

90% of those who have problem with the connection have missed to connect pin 7 and 8 together in the CAT cables radio end. Check that first

73 de mike

va3mw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-22, 02:53:56 »
Help,

I am seeing the same problem. 

It might be the heat here in Toronto, but I can't seem to find any manual for the Remote Micro.

I can connect to the radio end (this is all local lan testing). 

The radio is a TS480.  V2.41 at the radio end.

I have 1 orange light and 3 green lights for all Com ports.

Com 0 is correctly configured for the radio/baud rate, etc. (Com 11)

Yet, HRD can't connect to Com 11 even when configured correctly.

Where is this jumper described and what is its purpose?

Thanks, mike va3mw

va3mw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-22, 04:33:27 »
Sadly, I can seem to get this to actually work on either XP 32 bit or Windows  7 64bit.

The Client does actually connect, but I can' do anything with Com0-3. 

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-22, 10:19:36 »
Hi
most people who have this problem have forgot that when they try to control the TS-480 using HRD or other PC software, a CAT cable must be connected between COM2 and the radio CAT-port. HRD etc can't use the same control channel as the front panel. When using TS-480 via the CAT port, it should be seen as any other Kenwood radio. From your limited descriptions I can't say anything else.

73 de mike

va3mw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-22, 16:52:51 »
Let me expand on this.

I have the Micro connected to the remote end.  BTW, I also use a full fledged radio RRC with the control head.  What I want is the option to use either the control head from home, or the Micro when travelling.

Com 0 is connected to the TS480 at 57600

On the Micro end, I have Com 0 UPD port set to Com 11 (in this case) and mode 4.

Com 1 (my com9) and Com 2 (my com10) are required for my LP-Remote and my watt meter.

Control software is HRD

So, are you saying that I need to virtually map my com 11 to a different Com port that HRD will then be able to see (ie: Com21)?  I can do this with VSP Manager, so that isn't a problem.

Is there a manual that describes this?  I've looked but if there is one, I must have missed it.

If I have to give up a Com port to make this work, then the Micro is of no use to me and I might have to return it. 

thanks
« Last Edit: 2011-07-22, 16:55:02 by va3mw »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-22, 17:21:23 »
but you must connect cable between Radio-RRC COM2 and the radio CAT port.

and in the RRC-micro you set up COM 2 to mode 4 and select one of the virtual comport.

then in the HRD you select the same virtual comport

73 de mike

va3mw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-23, 04:43:37 »
That is too bad.

That leaves me with no choice but to return my RRC Micro PC client as I can't afford to give up that serial port.  I wish it was made clearer in the documentation.

If you think of it from my perspective, why would I have to plumb another rig control line into Com 2 when I already have one on Com 0?  Is the data  not the same or does the RRC Micro not do the conversion to the Kenwood  CAT format?

On your web page "http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=28" you say:

When installed the PC-Client presents 3 virtual comports which can all be used in the same way as in the hardware based system.

However it is clear that that is not possible, or am I missing something?  It was based on that that I purchased the RRC Micro.   When using the hardware solution, I use Com0 for the Rig control, Com1 for my LP-Remote and Com2 for my Elecraft watt meter.  The Watt meter is used to protect the amplifier as it also controls the amp PTT line.

On the PC end, I can see having to set up some virtual com ports in order for HRD to see the Kenwood radio data.  That part I get as it is something we do all the time with our Flex radios.

Mike, what are the chances that this could be patch in software so that I do NOT have to give up Com 2?  Also, what is the return policy of the RRC Micro I just received?  I can appreciate that you won't cover shipping either way, but I am looking for a full refund please.

Mike va3mw
« Last Edit: 2011-07-23, 04:48:09 by va3mw »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-23, 09:10:24 »
The TS-480 control panel do not use the standard Kenwood CAT protocol to communicate with the Radio it's a different protocol which is not public, and there is no documentation available for it. The RRC boxes just setup a channel for it we do not bother whats inside.
The same is for the RRC-Micro we just set up a channel for the HRD or other PC software to use for the CAT protocol.
There is no chance for a patch as you say, to convert between these protocol. But there are lot of other products giving you extra serial ports for example from Tibbo. Of course you can return the RRC-Micro if you can not use it.

73 de mike