Author Topic: Nano and TS-480  (Read 4951 times)

sa5alt

• View Profile
    • Email
Nano and TS-480
« on: 2019-06-26, 12:55:03 »
I'm using the TS-480 with a pair of RRC-1258MkII and thought to give the RRC-Nano a try as well. It doesn't really do anything though, I enter the details as I believe them to be correct, but when I click Connect the button lights up and then goes dim again. No error message.

Now, it struck me on the way to work this morning that perhaps the answer is obvious; that the TS-480 console need to be turned on and active on the other side in order for the radio part to answer CAT commands etc. Is there something to that hypothesis, or should I be able to expect RRC-Nano to work and connect even without the console being turned on?

Jonas

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Nano and TS-480
« Reply #1 on: 2019-06-26, 18:44:19 »
Hi Jonas,

No, it turns on the TS-480 as it should when you connect. You likely have some parameters entered wrong
or the setup is not correct.

The most common mistake is that people often do not use CAT, but you absolutely MUST have CAT setup using
a straight, standard serial cable and COM2 of the RRC's first and then use COM2 in Nano for the connection.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sa5alt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-06-27, 14:54:42 »
Thanks for the response!
I'm going to try it again; I do have the serial cable in place and working (I'm able to control the TS-480 from the MkII Remote via CAT over the virtual COM port) so that should not be a problem.
Perhaps it's a firewall issue; I'll try it when I'm connected to the same network and see if that makes a difference.

Jonas

sa5alt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-06-27, 21:42:01 »
Hi!

So, that was right: it's a firewall issue. If I'm on the same network, it works. If I'm remote, it does not. I opened up port 13000-13002 udp in the firewall, but no go. Tricky to figure out what's going on, but clearly network related.

Best and 73,
Jonas

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-06-27, 23:25:53 »
If you have a decent router, then it will block it from working in the same network if you
use the DDNS address instead of the internal IP number. Use your internal IP number as
the SIP contact and it will work. Opening ports within the same network will have no effect.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sa5alt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-06-28, 08:06:42 »
Hi Mitch,

apologies for being unclear. What I meant is that if I'm connected to the local network (192.168.190.0/24) and using the remoterig local IP (192.168.190.35), then the setup works perfectly with Nano. However, if I disconnect my phone from the local network and instead run it against the cellular network (HSPA+ over 3G), *and* replace the IP I connect to with the DDNS domain name resolving to the external port of the router, then it does not work currently. So there's something in the port forwarding or so that doesn't quite work, and I've yet to figure out that. It doesn't seem to be a Nano issue per se though (even if some additional debug information would be nice).

Best and 73,
Jonas

sa5alt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-06-28, 09:52:02 »
It feels I'm spamming the forum now, but I got it to work unexpectedly. It turns out that (at least my version/setup) of the RRC Nano doesn't work well with DNS lookups. The problem was not NAT-related at all. If I, instead of using my DDNS name as the contact in RRC Nano, used the external IP number (77.22.40....), it works with the port forwarding I have in place.

Best and 73,
Jonas