Author Topic: Internet parameters  (Read 2017 times)

KA3DCO

• View Profile
    • Email
Internet parameters
« on: 2019-07-25, 19:14:40 »
Good afternoon. I have had good luck overall with RRC 1258 MK II gear and have used it regularly for the past two and a half years, first with the IC 706 and since March of 2018 with the IC 7100. Recently I lost connection and radio would not come on for a period of about three weeks. During this time none of the settings in either RRC unit were changed and suddenly it just began working again. At times the red LED on RRC unit comes on which is indicative of internet shortcoming. This may happen once or twice a week and does not stay on more than 30 seconds. When this happens everything on radio stops right where it is until LED goes out. During the past ten days I was unable to turn radio on again for two or three days and then it just came on without me doing anything. posts that I have read indicate internet may be the problem.

Question one - when this happens is there anything I can do to re-start radio?
Question Two - is there anything I can do to avoid this?
Question three - what kind of internet performance should be required for good sound operation of the RRC units?
Question four - if the internet is the problem what specifics can I take to my provider to compare my internet service with requirements?

Thanks for any input. I think the RRC is the best way to remote and am very impressed with the equipment.

Kenny, KA3DCO

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Internet parameters
« Reply #1 on: 2019-07-25, 23:11:08 »
Hi Kenny,

You are correct in your assumption that the issue is with your internet connection and not with
the RRC's. The problem is to locate where the problem lies. It could be a number of things:

- The modem at the radio side
- The modem at the control side
- The router at the radio side (if separate device)
- The router at the control side (if different device)
- The internet service provider at the radio side
- The internet service provider at the control side

The first thing to do is to use the process of elimination to locate at least on which side the problem occurs. The easiest
way to do that would be to move the control equipment to another location when the problem occurs, e.g. a neighbor's
house. If the problem still is occurring, then you narrowed the problem to the radio side, or visa-versa.

Once you locate which side it is on, then the problem solving gets more detailed. My suggestion would be to setup the router to
allow admin access from outside of your network. The router should have settings to allow this. Test it to make sure the access
works ok using your smartphone. Then the next time the problem occurs, try rebooting the router from the control location
to see if this solves your problem.

If this doesn't solve your problem, then the problem lies either with the provider, or with the modem if a separate device. To reboot
the modem is more complex: If at the remote site, I would suggest at least temporarily setting up a PC on the RRC's network and
install Teamviewer to answer. Then call up a browser on the remote PC and load the modem's web page at 192.168.100.1. Then you
can go to its menu to reboot it. If that solves your problem, then the problem is with the modem, or perhaps with an unstable internet
connect with your provider (the same applies if a combo router/modem).

To see if the connection is unstable, look at the modem's status page. You will see the signal strength and error rate listed. Then you can
contact your provider to get it fixed. Use Google to figure out what is good and bad.

To directly answer your questions:
Question one - when this happens is there anything I can do to re-start radio?
you can restart the router and/or modem per my directions above. Maybe that fixes the problem

Question Two - is there anything I can do to avoid this?

Locate the problem and get it fixed per above

Question three - what kind of internet performance should be required for good sound operation of the RRC units?

Not worth going into detail, since any modern cable or DSL connection has way more than the required bandwidth
needed. Actually more important is latency, but that would require more explanation and is probably not important
at this point.

Question four - if the internet is the problem what specifics can I take to my provider to compare my internet service with requirements?

See above. The modem's status page is key, use 192.168.100.1 if a separate device, or your router's page if not.

There are other methods using network sniffers, etc., but I believe you can solve your problem using this guide.

Good luck & 73,
Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

KA3DCO

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Internet parameters
« Reply #2 on: 2019-07-27, 03:38:57 »
Hi Mitch, and thanks again for sharing your knowledge of the RRC's and your willingness to help. I will work on your suggestions but it will take me some time. I have a friend or two who are much more tuned in to these things than I am. I will advise you how things work out as I go along. I don't expect to solve this in a hurry.

Thanks again,

73, Kenny