Author Topic: RRC triggers PTT on USB connect!  (Read 3352 times)

sa5alt

• View Profile
    • Email
RRC triggers PTT on USB connect!
« on: 2019-07-29, 16:02:55 »
Now that my previous woes are resolved, a new strangeness has appeared! When I connect the USB cable from the RRC Control, to my PC, PTT is triggered! PTT stays engaged until I disconnect the USB cable. There is no software communicating with the USB port, as far as I can tell. nor is the station set to VOX. Strange, no? This is with a TS-480.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: RRC triggers PTT on USB connect!
« Reply #1 on: 2019-07-29, 20:13:25 »
Often the Windows settings do strange things for USB to serial converters. Try doing the following:

Go to the presentation on serial interfaces at https://bit.ly/USBserial

Follow the instructions from pages 26-30.

I hope that this helps.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sa5alt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-07-30, 09:33:10 »
Apologies, I should've mentioned this is not on Windows but a standard Linux Ubuntu. So I'm fairly certain nothing wonky is going on with the operating system. Still, are there any ways connecting the RRC USB port can trigger PTT!? I didn't think so.

Only thing I'm imagining is of there's some grounding issue causing a stray current in the RRC, but I thought everything was properly isolated.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-07-30, 16:36:59 »
Yes, that was important missing information!

There are only Windows drivers available for the RRC USB port, which are installed when you install the
Microbit Setup Manager. It is not compatible with Linux and anyway wouldn't do what you want.

You can likely use the AUX/MIC port for PTT, depending upon how you have the red straps installed.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sa5alt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-07-31, 09:38:02 »
I'm not sure that's entirely true, but I will change to use a proper Serial cable instead. The thing is that this worked up until some days ago, on both Windows and Linux. When I connected the usB cable on Linux it showed upp properly as four serial devices, and I could successfully control the rig that way.

So it obviously does work. Just not now :-)

Still, a proper serial port is probably sensible.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-07-31, 19:10:49 »
All it will show under Linux or iOS would be the generic FTDI drivers, which won't help all that much. Same
for Windows if you forget to install the Microbit Setup Manager first.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX