Author Topic: Is the jitter buffer still active when "straight key" keying via IN0?  (Read 2910 times)

K9SO

• View Profile
I'm using an external keyer and have gone back to CW keying using my auxiliary RRC link via the RJ45 I/O connector. That's because my FlexRadio 6600/Maestro pair doesn't properly adjust for Internet delays (RTT) and jitter any more with their new SmartSDR v3.x software... I get messed up CW when using the Flex approach now.

Because I'm using an external keyer, I was wondering if the CW paddle RRC jitter corrections are still applied when using the IN0 (I/O connector pins 4&8) method of keying? Or must I use the RRC built in keyer to get that protection?

I'm operating from 800 miles away and have an average RTT of about 72mS. All seems to be working fine, but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just be using the built in keyer?

Fred
K9SO

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
HI
The Jitterbuffer settings are never involved in CW-keying, But the buffering controlled by the "Key delay ms" settings is active even for the IN0 (straight keying) input if Keyer is Enabled

73 de mike

K9SO

• View Profile
Thank you for your answer Mike. This link on the RR site seems to discuss jitter settings in CW mode where it discusses a  "CW Handler". I guess that really only means keying delay.

http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=470

But I don't fully understand how keying delay would increase tolerance to jitter. A brief explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred
K9SO

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Hi

Key delay sets the time in ms that the Radio-RRC will buffer incomming CW from the Control-RRC before it starts to transmit. The function will be similar to the Jitter buffers for the audio

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Mike,

Maybe you can answer this similar question while you are at it:
http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=5388.msg25440#msg25440

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX