Author Topic: New installation: "Popping audio", jittering, frequent radio resets  (Read 3142 times)

n5xz

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a new K3/0 & RRC1258 MkII setup to a remote K3. First time user. I get alot of "popping" noise, intermittent loss of audio and frequent need for radio resets. Not sure what I should do to try to mitigate the problems. Operating from an apartment, AT&T 100 mBit connection. I tried adjusting Rx jitter buffer size and Rx jitter delay but that had little effect. Suggestions?

Allen N5XZ

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Allen,

There is all the information you need already on this Forum if you use the search function. I will try to
summarize some of them:

- The problem is caused by your network somewhere and has nothing to do with RemoteRig. However, you can do
some optimization to minimize data transferred and compensate a little for minor network problems. To really solve
this problem, then you need to find the network problem. It may or may not be related to the actual internet connection.

- To determine which side the problem is located, move the control position to another location (e.g. friend's house). If the
problem continues, then you can focus on the radio site or visa-versa. Then it gets complicated, since it could be with the
router, provider or even network hardware such as a switch.

- Try some RRC tweaks to compensate somewhat:
   - set audio quality to 0 (half the bandwidth of codec 2 and more than adequate for SSB & CW)
   - set RTP to continuous. This increases data use, but often smooths out this type of problem
   - turn off the second receiver in the K3, since this doubles the bandwidth
   - increase rx jitter buffer to min 12+
   - increase rx jitter delay to min 10+
   - set audio packet size 20 or 40

I am not saying that any of these suggestions will work, but use them as a guideline to see if something helps or not. Since the true problem lies
somewhere else, these are possible "band aids" and nothing more.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

n5xz

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks, Mitch. I shall try your suggestions and report back.

Allen N5XZ

n5xz

• View Profile
    • Email
Mitch, I tried your suggestions and they made a slight improvement but not enough to make the connection smooth. Any other suggestions?

Allen N5XZ

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Allen,

I made it clear that my suggestions would not solve your problems, just reduce them a bit. To solve your problems, you must locate the source of your network problem like I wrote.

Did you move the control to a different location to determine which end has the problem?

Mitch DJ0QN  / K7DX

n5xz

• View Profile
    • Email
I haven't had a chance to try it at another location yet. I'll let you know.

Allen N5XZ

n5xz

• View Profile
    • Email
I hooked up the unit at home and, as you might have expected, *almost* no popping or dropouts. Using PingPlotter, I see a bad hop, so I'm not sure what to do about it, but I will be researching it.

Allen N5XZ