Author Topic: WinKeyer w/RRC Query  (Read 9595 times)

WU6X

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: WinKeyer w/RRC Query
« Reply #15 on: 2020-01-05, 18:26:37 »
It all works now, even without configuring the Winkeyer emulator in N3FJP. I guess I hadn't tried that before? So many variable I can't remember. In any case, I'm working on getting RTTY to work now with MMTTY. I can key the remote radio but it sends only a carrier, no "diddle". Any ideas?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2020-01-05, 20:05:29 »
What kind of radio is it?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WU6X

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2020-01-05, 20:45:39 »
Oops! Sorry about that ... Kenwood TS-480HX. I looked through the manual and everything in the radio is set to default.
Dennis, WU6X

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2020-01-05, 20:54:25 »
Hi Dennis,

The TS-480 requires a mono plug in the key jack to make it work. If you are using a stereo
plug, then you will have a continuous tone when trying to send FSK using the RRC's FSK
over COM0/COMEXTRA feature.

I hope this helps.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WU6X

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2020-01-05, 20:55:52 »
Perfect! I'm not sure what is installed now, but I'll check. I assume using a mono plug won't effect CW ops?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2020-01-05, 20:56:33 »
Correct!

WU6X

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2020-01-07, 23:32:25 »
Okay ... mono cable installed and MMTTY configured as shown in the manual. CW is working, but FSK node is not keying the TS-480. What else should I look at?
Tnx, Dennis-WU6X

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2020-01-08, 00:03:29 »
Dennis,

It could be a number of things, which I can't tell without looking at your settings. I suggest
that you take a look at the following:

- I/O settings on control RRC:
INO mode: Keyer
OUT0 mode: Connect
OUT1 mode: I/O
OUT2 mode: I/O
rest disabled

- I/O settings on radio RRC:
OUT0: PTT or I/O
OUT1: Baudot-RTTY/45
OUT2: Keyer
The last two may be reversed, not sure, but this is what is in the manual page

Control RRC Serial Settings:
COM3/Extra to mode-10, Baudot-RTTY

Select the COM3/COMEXTRA Windows assigned port found in the Windows Device Manager to the RTTY program

It has been several years since I installed this at our stations and I never use FSK, so this is sort of out of my fading
memory. All I really remember is that we needed to change the stereo plugs to mono to make it work. I am sure that
it is something minor in the settings somewhere.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WU6X

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: 2020-01-08, 00:16:07 »
Thanks for the quick response, Mitch. I've gone over the settings and had/have then set exactly as described and, have tried both mono and stereo cables between radio end KEY output and PAD connector. CW still works, but RTTY not keying the radio.
I had RTTY producing a solid tone at one point, but now lost that trying various configurations.
Tnx for your assistance ... I can make screen shots if needed.

One thing I am not seeing are other options on the MMTTY Setup/Sound Card tab. I would have expected to see the USB RRC as a selection ... could that be a factor?
« Last Edit: 2020-01-08, 00:23:06 by WU6X »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: 2020-01-08, 00:33:44 »
There is no USB audio generated by the RRC, so no. You just take the audio off of the SP jack.

Even then, that would affect the transmit audio.

I think there is some setting somewhere on MMTTY that is messed up. I can take a look using
Teamviewer if you want, but I am far from being an expert. I would just be able to be a second
set of eyes.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WU6X

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: 2020-01-08, 00:45:15 »
I'm using USB to the Control RRC only ... what SP jack are you talking about? We can do a TeamViewer ... are you in the USA?
If so, send an email to wu6x@hotmail dot com ... as I would rather not post all the connection stuff here. Hi!

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: 2020-01-08, 03:21:44 »
To get audio back from the radio into MMTTY, you must connect to the SP jack of the RRC and
from there to the audio input of your sound card interface or computer. There is no other way
for the program to get audio in.

Audio out for sound card modes like PSK, WJST and AFSK, is done the other way around by going
from the sound card interface or line out of the computer into the RRC's AUX/MIC jack. Since you
are (trying to use) using the RRCÄs FSK generation method, that doesn't apply to you, although it
may be easier on your nerves than what you are going through right now and would allow you to
use other digital modes as well.

I will see if I have time tomorrow afternoon to take a look at your setup.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WU6X

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: 2020-01-08, 03:32:25 »
I understand ... thank you for a concise explanation. I've been thinking about going AFSK which, as you point out, would give me access to the other digital modes that I'm missing. Right now, I can't seem to key the radio in FSK mode (where AFSK would use VOX). So, I think that must be a setup issue somewhere.
In any case, it's going to be complicated either way as I have to rely on others to cable up the remotes correctly, one on the east coast and one out here in the west, especially if I go serial control.
Hopefully, we can talk soon and compare notes. 73, and thanks for all the assistance you've offered since I began the journey into remote radio control.  :) Dennis - WU6X

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: 2020-01-08, 06:31:28 »
It is really not complicated at all to set it up for CAT. You only need a (real) serial cable between the
TS-480's RS232 port and the radio RRC's COM2. The rest is a couple of settings in each RRC. I have a
CAT checklist available when you are ready. That opens up a lot of possibilities, including effectively
using WJST and doing PTT via CAT like I do. Highly recommended, just one cable necessary.

What you need is to forward the web port for the radio RRC after changing and password protecting it to
be able to make changes and tweaks as you go along. You will never need help then at the actual station.

We can go through this stuff on the phone when I get a chance.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WU6X

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: 2020-01-08, 19:30:26 »
WooHoo! You were correct, CAT was easy to set up, and now working as follows:

Control RRC
Prolific USB to Serial adapter connected to COM2
Serial settings as described in the table on page 192 of the RR manual

Radio RRC
Serial cable from radio to RRC Com2
Serial settings as described in the table on page 192 of the RR manual

My logging software (N3FJP) is now reading frequency, band and mode perfectly. This should be the case with any software I run on the computer. Next, connect computer audio in/out of the Control RRC, and in/out of the Radio RRC, and should be set for all the digital modes.

On the Control RRC end, I'm thinking about using my SignaLinkUSB which normalizes the sound levels in/out of the computer. Will that work, or would you recommend direct connections to the AUX/Mic input and adjust levels with computer sound card? Also, on the Radio RRC end, do I need other cabling there besides the RJ11 connection?
Dennis, WU6X