Author Topic: RRC 1258 momentary break in connection  (Read 2699 times)

kl0r

• View Profile
RRC 1258 momentary break in connection
« on: 2019-10-31, 22:37:11 »
UPDATE

I am still having this problem. I have been observing it for a while, and it appears that RRC 1258 at the remote end is restarting periodically. When the link fails, the power light goes out, then starts again, blinking at first, and then becoming solid. I have connected the 1258 to my computer via a USB cable, and when the connection fails, the USB port drops, and then reconnects... suggesting to me that it is rebooting.

--- Previous ---

I am noticing that I am getting momentary breaks in sync between my RRC-1258s. I have not been able to observe what is happening at the radio end, but at the remote end I lose audio, and the K3/0 displays the default frequency that it shows when you first turn it on. It will eventually reestablish a connection, but it takes some time. If I power cycle the K3/0, the connection usually gets reestablished very quickly.

The losses in connection are very short... and I am using a remote connection to a PC on the same network to turn antennas and control the amp, and this connection seems to remain up, and so it does not appear to be a loss in the internet connection, except perhaps for some very short interruption... less than a second.

Is there a configuration that will make the connection more robust?

Thanks...

Wigi, KL0R
« Last Edit: 2019-11-01, 16:37:08 by kl0r »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: RRC 1258 momentary break in connection
« Reply #1 on: 2019-11-04, 15:20:18 »
Wigi,

That is hard to find, using the information provided. However, it is likely an issue with the internet
connection, router, switch, etc. and will need to be found by using the process of elimination.

The first step I would suggest is to move the control RRC and K3 to another location and try it from
there instead. If the problem persists, then it is at the radio location, otherwise visa-versa.

Once you figure out for sure which side causes it, then you need to systematically go through the network
components and settings to find the culprit. An example is having SIP ALG not turned off in the router.

There is a "band-aid" using RRC settings to help with somewhat flaky internet connections, but this would only
help with audio pops and not the kind of problems that you are experiencing.

I have also experienced a lot of issues using the RRC's USB for CAT. Some PC's seems to be unstable. I think in
that case, some Windows settings may help. Here you can get some tips:
https://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/N6TV_Dayton_2019_Everything_USB.pdf

I hope this helps.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kl0r

• View Profile
Re: RRC 1258 momentary break in connection
« Reply #2 on: 2019-11-09, 21:54:01 »
I solved this...

The issue appears to have been a firmware issue. I flashed a new version of firmware at both ends, and the problem went away... I don't know if the issue was that the previous version of the firmware was corrupted, or if the new version had some bug fix that that made it more stable. Either way, it is fine now.

Remotely flashing the box when it appears to be resetting will make you prematurely grey.