Author Topic: SOLVED: Major failure TS-480 - no CAT, no CW keying  (Read 8494 times)

k5tri

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi,

During CQ WW CW last weekend everything started out fine on Friday evening at the beginning of the contest. N1MM was connected to the radio
using the serial port via USB from the RemoteRig box, CW keying via N1MM and the USB Extra serial port was working reliably as well. After a few
hours I turned off the radio but let the computer running to catch some sleep.
Returning early in the morning and turning on the radio produced nothing. All over sudden N1MM could no longer connect to the radio/ RemoteRig
box via the built in serial port over USB. Manual keying via paddle still worked but eventually also went out. No more keying of the radio via USB serial
nor paddle. Keying with the paddle only produced continuous tone.

I rebooted both control and radio box (hard reset via power off/ on), rebooted both routers, and checked all settings. Note that I did not make any
changes the night before.

In the meantime CW keying via paddle somewhat returned in that after turning on the radio, the first few keying attempts only produce a long tone as
if the paddle hangs, but then after a few seconds it seems somewhat normal but not reliable. No USB cat control.

I managed to get CAT control via an USB-Serial adapter cable connected to COM2 on the control box, but that would not be a real workable solution.
All throughout, audio remained.

Today I also re-loaded the firmware on the control box (2.91) in hopes this would do the trick but nothing. The machine the box is now connected to
is a fresh installation of Win 10 Enterprise. After installing Microbit manager and the drivers for the serial ports, the ports only show as regular COM3 - 6
whilst before they were labeled for the RemoteRig box.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue are highly welcome!

73 Mike K5TRI / DK5TRI
« Last Edit: 2019-12-02, 03:30:54 by k5tri »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Major failure TS-480 - no CAT, no CW keying
« Reply #1 on: 2019-12-02, 02:08:26 »
Hi Mike,

The problem is caused by a Windows setting, placing the USB in power saving mode. I suggest that you take
a look at the following presentation: https://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/N6TV_Dayton_2019_Everything_USB.pdf
starting on page 26.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k5tri

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-12-02, 02:19:43 »
Hi Mitch,

Which problem are you referring to as there are several? This setup worked for over a year with both N1MM and DX Lab Commander. All my machines
run 24/7 in High Power config regarding power plans. There is no sleeping for anything here.

Thanks,
Mike

k5tri

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-12-02, 02:23:53 »
UPDATE: The naming issue is resolved by letting Windows search for an updated driver in Device Manager for each of the four COM ports.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-12-02, 03:05:33 »
Mike,

Read my message again and the link I gave you. I wasn't referring to your station. I said
that you have a WINDOWS problem, whereby the USB goes into power saving mode. The
link shows you how to fix that.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k5tri

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-12-02, 03:07:00 »
UPDATE2: Further poking finally got CAT control back to both Commander and N1MM. I triple checked all USB port settings as well as USB hub settings
to make sure all speeds and power modes etc. are as they need to be.

Remaining issue is keying via paddle still produces continuous tone on first key up, almost as if I have to wake up the keyer.

N1MM CW keying still not working. It does key the radio, but listening to a receiver on WebSDR it sounds like the rise time is set to 0.01ms. Very short
dits are being sent.

Attached screenshots from the relevant config sections. Thanks for the help.

73 Mike

k5tri

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-12-02, 03:10:15 »
Mike,

Read my message again and the link I gave you. I wasn't referring to your station. I said
that you have a WINDOWS problem, whereby the USB goes into power saving mode. The
link shows you how to fix that.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Mitch, I did read your message and did look at the link. The point is that the setup has been working without major issues for over a year until last weekend with
no changes being made. I do know my way around a Windows box, I just retired from Microsoft earlier this year ;).

My most recent post has crossed paths with your last one. Further progress has been made as I'm typing this on a fresh install and not all settings were applied
to the state of the old working system.

Either way the weird CW keying issue remains the last one.

73 Mike

k5tri

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2019-12-02, 03:14:36 »
This is what my call sent at 21 wpm looks like on the waterfall

k5tri

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2019-12-02, 03:19:20 »
Could this be related to settings in the I/O section?

73 Mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2019-12-02, 03:20:42 »
Mike,

Often Windows updates screw things up, so even if it was working for years, doesn't mean that it
will always work ;-)

Anyway, your settings look fine. The only suggestion I can make is maybe reduce the baud rate on
CAT. I run my systems at 9600, which is more than enough. I know this shouldn't make a
difference, but it can't hurt. Also note that COM1 in mode 6 or 7 must not equal the COM2 rate,
you can make it different if you want.

I am also ex-MS and worked there for years, but only in the German organization near Munich.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2019-12-02, 03:24:56 »
I doubt that an I/O setting could cause this problem. The Winkeyer emulation is known to
be buggy, so maybe you have run against a problem there. If you search the Forum for
NiMM and Winkey, you will find a lot of stuff on that issue.

k5tri

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2019-12-02, 03:30:17 »
Mike,

Often Windows updates screw things up, so even if it was working for years, doesn't mean that it
will always work ;-)

Oh trust me I was tempted multiple times to walk over to the Windows team and open a can of whupp-ass :)
Windows update was not to blame this time however and the machine was on the Fast Ring.

Anyway, your settings look fine. The only suggestion I can make is maybe reduce the baud rate on
CAT. I run my systems at 9600, which is more than enough. I know this shouldn't make a
difference, but it can't hurt. Also note that COM1 in mode 6 or 7 must not equal the COM2 rate,
you can make it different if you want.
Yes, in the beginning I had it at 9600 but then came across another post on this forum which suggested 57600. Tried
it and it worked, so left it at that. The TS-480 original settings of the radio are actually 4800 Baud.

I am also ex-MS and worked there for years, but only in the German organization near Munich.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

HA! Small world. I was wondering exactly about that when I saw that you were in Munich for a long time. Which group?

On an even more positive note, I found the issue of the CW keying. I was using the ComExtra port for the keying which
AFAIR I did before as well. I changed the COM0 to USB and have now proper CW keying from N1MM through that port.

I'd file that under 0x1D10T error :). Thanks for the prompt responses and good guidance. Now I can work from my other
home in Germany again.

73 Mike K5TRI / DK5TRI
« Last Edit: 2019-12-02, 03:34:52 by k5tri »

k5tri

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: SOLVED: Major failure TS-480 - no CAT, no CW keying
« Reply #12 on: 2019-12-02, 03:34:13 »
Final post for reference if other people run into this:

1) Checked COM port settings in Windows Device Manager to make sure speed, parity, stop bits etc. are all aligned with software and RRC config
2) Per pointer from Mitch double checked all USB power management settings to turn power management off (don't allow computer to put device to sleep)
3) After fresh install of Microbit Software drivers, in Device Manager for each COM port let Windows automatically search for updated drivers to get proper labeling
4) Check which COM port to use for CW keying (COM0)

Thanks again to Mitch for the swift responses.

73 Mike K5TRI / DK5TRI

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2019-12-02, 03:56:38 »
Glad that you got it working again, Mike.

I had many jobs at Microsoft over the years ;-)

I was in Munich for only 40 years.....now retired and in Florida most of the time.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k5tri

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2019-12-02, 03:59:39 »
Fair enough. I guess what I meant was technical PreSales or M&O? I didn't wait that long, managed to get out before turning 50.

The benefit operating remote from WA in Germany is that I don't have to be up in the middle of the night to work 160m LOL

73 Mike