Author Topic: Remote Mobile Station?  (Read 5326 times)

RonAE6RH

• View Profile
    • Email
Remote Mobile Station?
« on: 2011-03-24, 01:08:43 »
I have a Sprint Wireless "Overdrive" box that works in 4G or 3G depending which is available.  I recently was driving (as a passenger) in an automobile and was able to get onto the internet thru a netbook computer, and get onto a remote station in Toronto using remote base web transceiver.  I was able to make contacts just like I do from my desktop computer.

so my question is, how would I connect a TS 480 head mobile, to the Overdrive box and then to your box.  The Overdrive box is wireless.  Has anyone done this?  I could use a computer with wireless connection, but I think it would be great to not have to use a computer at all.

What I would like to have is just the 480 head with a hand microphone and the Overdrive box in the car.  I have bluetooth and a USB connection cable in my car which is mainly for connecting something like an I Pod to the sound system.  Hmmm, maybe I could run the audio thru the car sound?  probably not necessary as I believe the 480 head has a nice speaker built in.

Ron
AE6RH

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Remote Mobile Station?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-24, 07:53:28 »
Hi

I don't now exactly what the Sprint box does, but in general a 3G/4G router with a ethernet connector can be used the way you explain. I use it my self on exibitions etc where no WLAN-Internet is available. I have used boxes from Dovado or Ericsson but the brand name is not important.

73 de mike

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-03, 17:53:17 »
If the Sprint device can connect wirelessly using WiFi, use a NetGear WNCE2001 or Linksys WET610N wireless bridge. I have used Linksys bridge connected to Remoterig quite successfully.

On same topic, I recently added tethering to my Apple IPhone on AT&T in Florida, but found wireless tethering is not available for Iphone 3GS, only for IPhone 4. I connected Iphone to a laptop and used the ICS sharing in Windows with the Remoterig. Audio download was ok at 3Mbps, but uplink was unacceptable and audio was choppy. Need to do additional testing with Remoterig to adjust audio jitter, etc.

ea3in

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-09, 09:50:20 »
I have the Remote RRC directly connected via ethernet to a Huawei E960 3G router.
It works great. Audio is fine both uplink & downlink

The radio is TS-480 and I am using the panel in the car side

Regards

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-09, 14:46:46 »
I am interested to know how the Sprint Overdrive device works. I made tests with a Verizon 3G USB device and tests were successful, but since it has a 5GB limit and is for use at work, I cannot use it on a day to day basis. AT&T tethering is a disaster, totally useless where I live. So Sprint is my next company to test. Would like to know if it has an unlimited data plan.

I purchased the Netgear WNCE2001 wireless adapter and have been using it 100% since with my remoterig and works perfectly.