Author Topic: DynDNS error code 8  (Read 6980 times)

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
DynDNS error code 8
« on: 2011-04-03, 16:55:53 »
Hello,

I recently had a catastrophic failure of my DynDNS client on a Netgear DGN2200 ADSL router. After April 1, 2011, it was not updating my IP addrewss to DynDNS. I suspect maybe changes in DynDNS side or a bug in the client. This caused my loss of connectivity and I had to call my dad where my Remoterig is setup to get the new IP address to recover control of my system. I disabled the Netgear client and enabled the Remoterig client as the primary update client.

Now I just saw the error code 8 show up. Is this something to be concerned with? An earlier posting suggested a failure in Remoterig DynDNS stack. Otherwise it is working. I have ver. 2.35 of firmware.

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: DynDNS error code 8
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-03, 17:26:18 »
To add to post, I manage 2 separate remote stations in Puerto Rico. Each system is reporting same error. Each one connects to different ISP's, Both are release 2.35 of firmware.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-04, 13:58:49 »
Error code 8 is a bit strange, since it indicates that the RRC failed sending data to the DynDNS server(TCP write error). Could you click on the DynDNS "status" link and copy and paste what that page shows here?
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-04, 18:14:24 »
You have the same problem I do, which was never solved:
http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=652.0

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-04, 18:28:28 »
Mitch: The reply you got from the DynDNS server has a invalid format. The RRC can not use such an answer.

Also came to think that error 8 might appear when the RRC is trying to send to something that isn't available = not ready for receiving.

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-06, 02:18:47 »
One system reports::

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html
Server: DynDNS-CheckIP/1.0
Connection: close
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Length: 104

<html><head><title>Current IP Check</title></head><body>Current IP Address: 69.89.43.227

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2011-04-06, 02:21:06 »
The other system is now reporting error code 10:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html
Server: DynDNS-CheckIP/1.0
Connection: close
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Length: 106

<html><head><title>Current IP Check</title></head><body>Current IP Address: 74.213.123.254

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2011-04-06, 08:53:01 »
kp4tr: Both answers has the expected format. That explains why it works. What is not as easy to understand is why you get errors. Number 10 is a timeout error. Seems the network connection to the DynDNS server is "shaky" making it alternating work and not.

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2011-04-07, 05:37:13 »
First posting is a rock solid ADSL connection that has no connection issues. The second one with timeout is shaky cable modem as you say, but does work. I'm just concerned with the error messages. The client on the ADSL modem stopped working so now I use Remoterig DynDNS client exclusively.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2011-04-07, 08:43:24 »
First posting is a rock solid ADSL connection that has no connection issues. The second one with timeout is shaky cable modem as you say, but does work. I'm just concerned with the error messages. The client on the ADSL modem stopped working so now I use Remoterig DynDNS client exclusively.
Still, the facts that the ADSL modem client stopped working and the RRC client gives errors suggest something regarding the connection with DynDNS in some way is unstable. Not easy to now exactly what it is though.