Author Topic: CAT interface via AUX/MIC on Yaesu  (Read 5764 times)

OZ1AXG

• View Profile
CAT interface via AUX/MIC on Yaesu
« on: 2011-04-05, 21:23:09 »
Hi

Is the possible to use the RXD/TXD (COM0) on the AUX/MIC for radio CAT interface microphone using a Yaesu radio (program mode 3)?

I setup my FT-897 to use send RXD/TXD via microphone plug (pin1+2).

From other radios in the manual (that have CAT interface via AUX/Mic), I figured out that strapping 8->2 and 2->1 on PCB would connect data interface to the Radio-RRC.

But it seems not to be working...

ON4AOI

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: CAT interface via AUX/MIC on Yaesu
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-06, 06:27:18 »
No it want work
because they have a different level,
com0 from example TS480 is TTL and not RS232

Guy ON4AOI 

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-06, 08:23:09 »
Yes you must use a RS-232 to TTL converter between the PC and the RRC if you want to do as you describe

73 de mike

OZ1AXG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-06, 12:36:09 »
Hi

I got it working !

The FT897 has TTL level CAT interface, and I found a diagram for the AUX/MIC connector in the manual that clarified things. The AUX/MIC and the TTL connector uses the same path for TXD and RXD (i.e. COM0), so either can be used.

The strapping must be expanded with two more wires so that RXD and TXD from RRC have a path to the microphone,

Using the CAT interface in the microphone connector makes cabling more simple, and it also frees up the CAT/LIN/TUNER connector on the back for a linear amp or tuner as a bonus :=)

At the control site i have tied COM0 and COM2 together and connected the PC to COM2 with a straight (2-2 + 3-3) COM cable to get the levels converterted to ±12V.