Author Topic: Dyndns client not showing updates in Dyndns logs  (Read 8912 times)

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
Dyndns client not showing updates in Dyndns logs
« on: 2011-04-14, 01:41:22 »
Is dyndns client working for remoterig v2.35? I had an issue today and rebooted the DSL modem. When checking logs in dyndns, I noticed I don't see any updates from Remoterig client. The updates all come from a Windows 7 PC I run remotely that has Dyndns client installed as a backup. I re-enabled Dyndns client on Netgear ADSL modem and it reported the update. I have Dyndns on Remoterig set to 10 minutes intervals but nothing on Dyndns logs is being reported.

I also clicked on the status link on Remoterig info page and it reported an incorrect IP. I rebooted the remoterig, and tested again and now reports correct IP.

Here's a list of various clients I use on different sites and what they report in DynDNS logs, except Remoterig client:

Netgear DGN2200 client: Linux DDNS client 0.9 / null@null.com
Netgear V1 WNR2000 router: ez-update-3.0.10 mips-mips-linux-gnu [daemon] (by Angus Mackay)
Netgear V2 WNR2000: NETGEAR - WNR2000v2 - V1.0.0.40
Windows 7 Client: DynDNS-Client-Win32/4.1.6/Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium /IG=N (using SSL)
Remoterig:  ???

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dyndns client not showing updates in Dyndns logs
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-14, 08:40:07 »
Have you checked the status page in the RRC to see what the DynDNS status is?
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-16, 18:43:43 »
I sure have. About 30 minutes ago I got a new IP address: This is what remoterig incorrectly reports:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html
Server: DynDNS-CheckIP/1.0
Connection: close
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Length: 104

<html><head><title>Current IP Check</title></head><body>Current IP Address: 69.89.43.224

The problem is this is incorrect. The real IP is now 69.89.43.218. The IP it is reporting is the old IP address that was just changed. On the DynDNS logs at http://dyndns.org  there is no evidence of the Remoterig client ever reporting anything. All other clients (Netgear/Windows 7 client) all report fine. I also see the "error code 8" as well.

« Last Edit: 2011-04-16, 18:45:22 by kp4tr »

VK3ZFS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-17, 05:23:48 »
Im also getting the same when click dyn dns status on radio end. FW Ver 2.36, everthing works otherwise.
the dns does update within few sec when radio end is rebooted.
Regards
Frank VK3ZFS

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-18, 10:08:15 »
What is your "DynDNS check interval"?

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-19, 00:16:42 »
It is set to 10. At another remoterig site I created a new host and Remoterig is the only client updating that host name. That interval is set to 60 and I have yet to see a report from Dyndns client in logs as well.

Other than that, I must say I'm very pleased with operation of Remoterig. Just updated to ver 2.36 of firmware on all 7 devices I manage (4 radios and 3 controls). The Dyndns client has me concerned because I have had to depend on the routers to do this work, but in a future setup I may need the Remoterig client to take this task.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2011-04-19, 14:56:50 »
I just completed a DynDNS test.

I logged into the account at DynDNS and set the IP address to something else than the RRC would set it to. I restarted the RRC and watched it successfully change the IP, both from its own loggings and at the DynDNS site. After that I once more changed the IP at DynDNS to something else than expected and then waited for 10 minutes(the interval I chose) and again it successfully changed IP like when restarting.

So it seems hard to understand why your RRCs seem unwilling to update.

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2011-04-20, 05:05:05 »
I made same exact test with the test account I setup and I finally saw the client report. In DynDNS it is "Microbit 2.0 AB - 1258 RRC - 0.0". This is the first time I see this client report, and my other Remoterig has yet to report this client updating, even though I have other clients reporting as well. I'll just have to keep an eye on the test host name since I triggered the change manually, instead of it doing on its own. I'll keep an eye on this and report in a few weeks.