Author Topic: 706 cable problem  (Read 4596 times)

W9AEB

• View Profile
    • Email
706 cable problem
« on: 2011-04-26, 22:49:54 »
I have converted the Icom-cable to the 8-pol Cat-5 cable and link the two sections together with an adapter to test the wiring.   Everything seems to work fine until I attempt to transmit.  When I do engage the push to talk on the 706 mkIIg the radio shuts down [powers off] Without using the extension cable the radio operates as it should.  Any idea what the problem might be?  Thank you in advance for your help.
Tom, W9AEB

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: 706 cable problem
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-01, 14:04:19 »
Hi

It sounds like something is wrong with the cable, check with an ohm meter, that there is no short circuit between the different wires.

73 de

dj4kw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 706 cable problem
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-12, 15:02:22 »
I have converted the Icom-cable to the 8-pol Cat-5 cable and link the two sections together with an adapter to test the wiring.   Everything seems to work fine until I attempt to transmit.  When I do engage the push to talk on the 706 mkIIg the radio shuts down [powers off] Without using the extension cable the radio operates as it should.  Any idea what the problem might be?  Thank you in advance for your help.
Tom, W9AEB

Tom,

can you try another power supply?  I found ICOM-706 transceivers under some circumstances pull too much current for a very short time when you change to transmit.  I have no idea what circumstances, maybe stray RF on the cable or some sort of inrush-current depending on the length of the cable.   
Your power supply might have a very fast acting overload protection, shutting the supply off on too high currents.  I found this with my ICOM-706; using a different power supply helped.

73 Gerd DJ4KW AC6YM