Author Topic: SIP Password  (Read 7474 times)

Michael

• View Profile
    • Email
SIP Password
« on: 2011-05-04, 17:19:11 »
Hi All:

Is it neccessary to have a SIP password specified under the Radio RRC's radio settings?
Considering there's no SIP contact like in the Control RRC. You specify the host and password under the DynDns setting, figured this should do.

TNX & 73:

Mike
Michael

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: SIP Password
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-04, 19:05:21 »
SIP password is not needed and can be left blank in both ends

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-04, 19:10:17 »
But Mike should give me his DynamicDNS address, so that I can hack into his station!  ;)

That's what passwords are for!

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

Michael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-04, 20:48:54 »
1ST of all, I was talking about SIP. Can you hack SIP? 
I was just wondering because there isn't a SIP contact in the radio RRC's Radio settings so why have a SIP password? Now as there's a DynDns, setting which obviously you would secure.
Now on the Control RRC side, there's a SIP contact and password which makes sense there. Now let's say you could hack my routers, then I don't think a SIP password would keep you from doing damage.

But Mike should give me his DynamicDNS address, so that I can hack into his station!  ;)

That's what passwords are for!

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX
Michael

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-04, 22:35:22 »
Hi Michael,

I also have an RRC. All I need is your DynamicDNS address, and I am connected. With a SIP
password, I am not connected, it is that simple.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

roland

« Reply #5 on: 2011-05-05, 10:49:30 »
Its up to you as the user to either use password or not.

If you do, be sure that you have the same password in RRC-Client Profile as you have in set in the RRC-box,
also note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Michael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2011-05-05, 15:28:22 »
Hi Mitch:

I understand that on the Control RRC, you need the SIP contact and password so if I didn't have a SIP password set on the Radio RRC side you could still connect by just typing in my DynDns host even if you didn't have any other password info?
Ie: the Control RRC's SIP contact and password.  I'm going to leave it there because it is another layer of security but I was just curious because the Radio RRC, doesn't have a SIP contact field and I guess, the reason is that it doesn't do the contacting but its contacted by the Control RRC and this SIP password serves as the security layer for the entire device. 

73:

Mike

?
 (quote author=dj0qn link=topic=766.msg2977#msg2977 date=1304541322]
Hi Michael,

I also have an RRC. All I need is your DynamicDNS address, and I am connected. With a SIP
password, I am not connected, it is that simple.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX
[/quote]
Michael

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2011-05-05, 15:47:46 »
Hi Mike,

There is no need for a "SIP Contact" field on the radio RRC, because that is the contact point
itself. The radio RRC's external IP address is the SIP contact for the control RRC.

The "SIP Password" is some extra security to keep someone from connecting to your RRC. If you leave
the password open and don't change the "SIP port" under the advanced settings, anyone with
a default RRC can connect to your system if they know your DynamicDNS address. Of course, they
would need to use the same hardware (e.g. TS-480 head) to actually do something, but I just wanted
to point out how important it is to change these defaults.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX