Author Topic: Satellite link high latency and jitter operation?  (Read 6660 times)

AB0BS

• View Profile
    • Email
Satellite link high latency and jitter operation?
« on: 2011-03-02, 19:56:15 »
Am seriously considering purchasing a RRC-1258Mklls for use with a remote TS-480 at friend's mountain location.  Unfortunately, he has only a satellite Internet link with a 1.2 second latency and approximately a 30 msec. jitter.   Upload speed ~ 500Kb/sec. 

The  primary operating mode is CW, but would like to occasionally use this system for SSB.  My question is "Will the RRC-1258Mklls system operate (both CW and SSB) properly with under such extreme latency and jitter conditions?"   

fnord

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Satellite link high latency and jitter operation?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-21, 13:40:13 »
if its on a mountain, try using a parabolic antenna or something if you have a free fresnel zone to a city or something.
It would be much better for your friend too., because 1.2S Latency is a joke, even for Skype or VOIP its not really usable.
Just ask in a local gazette if you could share the WLAN if you cannot find one.
A friend did the same, and he found another HAM Operator in the city.

la5eka

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Satellite link high latency and jitter operation?
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-26, 18:56:01 »
I'm quite sure it does. My plan is to use it when I'm at sea with work (3-4 months a year). The 1.2
second latency is no problem for me. I have sucessfully used echolink, skype and all kinds of
voip applications while at sea. Besides, most voice traffic from ships nowadays go by voip over satelite.
If that didn't work, then where would we be ?

73 de LA5EKA, Gisle in Norway.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-27, 14:35:12 by la5eka »