Author Topic: Failed firmware update on 1258  (Read 13263 times)

WA2TTP Steve

• View Profile
    • Email
Failed firmware update on 1258
« on: 2011-05-24, 06:32:19 »
I just received the units today and attempted to update the firmware per the manual.

I down loaded and installed Microbit Setup manager V1.9 to my Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista 32 bit.

The manager will connect to the units, via USB, and read there current versions, V2.33.

I down loaded the latest version V2.39, extracted the files to my desk top.

Selected the file on the manager and hit update. (C:\Users\Stevie\Desktop\RRC-1258-CRC_v2.39_2011-05-23.bin) After a few seconds I get the following:
Failed programming new firmware error code 31

I don't think I did anything wrong.

Help!!
Steve

dj4mz

• View Profile
Re: Failed firmware update on 1258
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-24, 09:09:55 »
Hi Steve,

do an initial setup of the boxes (at least IP address and subnet mask) via USB so that you can access the boxes via LAN. Then update the firmware via the web interface of the box. There was a bug in the firmware related to updating via USB. It is solved from V2.36 on (see change notes in V2.36).

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ

va3mw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-24, 18:43:55 »
Hi Steve

There must be something unique in your environment. 

I did exactly what you did via USB (no internet configuration done) and it worked just fine.  I was using Windows 7 64 Bit.

So, either your download is corrupt (highly unlikely) or there are issues on your usb buss. 

I know it sounds weird, but try another usb cable and try NOT using it on a Hub (you might have tried this already).

mike va3mw

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-25, 08:53:02 »
As Simon, DJ4MZ said: There was a bug in the firmware related to upgrading the software via USB. In addition to that might be said that it worked in many cases even before the fix in v2.36. It seemed to have something to do with the characteristic of the USB bus in a specific PC.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

WA2TTP Steve

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-05-26, 07:11:08 »
Thank you all for the replies.

I did the update thru the web interface and it worked fine. Now on version 2.39.

I continued to enter the settings for the TS-480 and it to is working fine. Audio both ways sound good, PTT ok.

Next step will be entering the DNYdns host info and see if it works from my son in laws office internet connection.

Thanks for the help.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-05-26, 08:18:22 »
And now that you are on 2.39 future upgrades using USB will most likely work too  :)

N9BX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-24, 18:22:58 »
I have same Problem, Lan Connected to Main Unit, Green light on Steady, Unit Connected to USB Post, Reads current firmware, Downloaded latest bib File.  Tried to transfer and it fails with error Code 31,  Stumped as to next steps.
Thanks Bruce N9BX

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2011-06-25, 11:07:27 »
I have same Problem, Lan Connected to Main Unit, Green light on Steady, Unit Connected to USB Post, Reads current firmware, Downloaded latest bib File.  Tried to transfer and it fails with error Code 31,  Stumped as to next steps.
Thanks Bruce N9BX
What works for everyone I have heard of is found above at http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=807.msg3190#msg3190