Author Topic: Feature Request  (Read 11122 times)

va3mw

• View Profile
    • Email
Feature Request
« on: 2011-06-11, 04:34:04 »
I often switch between being on the same subnet or being totally remote.  While this is easy to handle with the profiles by using fully qualified domain names and DHCP, it is a problem when I am on the same subnet at the cottage.

If I had a DNS server running at the cottage, then I could have the FQDN map to the local IP address, but I don't have a computer running just to do that.

My ask to Microbit -- Would it be possible to have a hardware switch to detect profile 1 or 2?  While I realize I might have to modify the Control box, this would be acceptable.  I could then add a small toggle switch (to 5v?) to tell it which profile to boot from.

However, I don't want to give up any of the current control lines to do this as I need them for CW Keying, etc.

Thanks!

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-11, 08:31:46 »
I suggest you have two separate boxes. It's to costly to implement a function that only one person has requested.

I hope you understand

73 de mike

va3mw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-12, 03:22:06 »
Thanks Mike

Maybe others might request the same thing now that they have seen my request.

Please, don't get me wrong, you have developed a wonderful platform.

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-14, 09:45:51 »
Hi,

you must have some kind of router at your cottage, as you are also accessing your remote station from outside. What about using the DNS Server in that router? Maybe you should check the instruction manual of your router to see if it allows you to enter additional data for the local subnet.

vy 73
Simon, DJ4MZ

va3mw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-26, 03:30:20 »
Hi Simon

I know what you are thinking... I use DD-WRT at the cottage, but editing the hosts table is somewhat of a dark art (even after reviewing the wiki).  Most off the shelf routers don't have have that ability. 

Another option might be if the client end software could be configured to try 1 ip address with an alternate choice.  I know, this is what FQDN's are for.

Mike

bigchimp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-11-23, 21:57:52 »
At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I'd like to see if anyone else has similar comment.

I am new to the remoterig with a 7100, the system works up to my expectation and beyond.

The only small thing I find annoying is having to use my laptop to switch profiles when I take the unit between home and remote. The previous post requested a switch to change profiles. I thought this would be most useful. Perhaps not many operators use the system portable? For myself this would be a helpful feature.

To have this automatic with profiles linked to network login would be perfect, and the system would switch settings automatically with no user input required.

If a feature like this is possible that would be appreciated I'm sure.

Thank you again for an outstanding product.

pd0swl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-11-24, 21:43:15 »
Not as elegant as you might wish but a very workable alternative:

A cheap 7" windows tablet.
I use one for several hardware with setup utilities in the field.

Very cheap. I've seen HP stream 7's for around 50-60USD.
To pack they fit flat on the top dimensions of your RRC.

And you can run some other applications as bonus, if needed.

« Last Edit: 2015-11-24, 21:45:23 by pd0swl »

KD0PO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-12-09, 15:58:57 »
I use dyn for domain at my remote site. I navigate to the domain name wither I am at the remote site on it's local network or elsewhere in the world. Only one profile needed...

maybe I am making apples into oranges???

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2015-12-09, 17:31:18 »
Some routers block an address that points back to its IP, so you must switch in that case.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX