Author Topic: Remoterig PTT problem /Kenwood wiring  (Read 5180 times)

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
Remoterig PTT problem /Kenwood wiring
« on: 2011-06-25, 06:18:53 »
Hello,
A friend bought a Remoterig "control" unit to try it out using my Kenwood TS2000. He already had a TM-D700 so he is able to use my radio. After helping him on the phone he can power up and listed to my radio no issues. But when he connects the mic on his side, PTT is immediately activated. We wired it same as TM-D710 minus the 8V connection. I have same exact mic he has and it works fine on my end, so wiring is not the issue. We spent hours reviewing the wiring and have concluded it must be a bad unit. We suspect the diodes in line to mic connector and jumpers must be either shorted or open. Anyone had similar issue? He will be calling to get a replacement unit since his appeared to be used as it was missing the jumpers.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Remoterig PTT problem /Kenwood wiring
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-25, 11:18:23 »
The only thing which can activate PTT is that the input is grounded. It cant be anything wrong with the hardware. Check that he have turned the box the right way when identifying pin 1, that's the most common problem. We do not send out used units and I hope our distributors do not either. But of course we can have missed put the bag with the red straps into the box, give me the address and I will send the missing straps.

73 de mike

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-26, 01:24:51 »
Yes I agree. The problem is I have same exact hardware as he does. We compared wiring, took pictures of each others wiring, and made sure he didn't get confused with orientation. He tested with 2 different mikes, one from Kenwood TM-D7a and another from TM-D700. He looked inside RJ45 connector for bent pins. Nothing wrong. Curiously when he inserts mic and PTT is active, he presses PTT on MIC and no audio is passed to radio. It is almost as if he in fact does have wrong wiring, but photos of his wiring reveal it is just as in manual as as my setup. I sent him a microphone I made especially for remoterig and Kenwood wiring to make sure it is not his microphones.

Sadly I cannot be there to help him, but vendor is replacing his Remoterig with another one. (HRO), which has them in back-order and is sending him the wires.
On RJ45 on Remoterig reading from right to left as in manual this is what I have and what he has wired and sent pictures of:

See http://prarl.org/images/remoterigTMD700.JPG

3 - MIC
4 - MIC GND
5 - PTT
6 - PTT GND

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-28, 01:16:13 »
Good news. Friend received microphone I wired for him and it works ok. Apparently his TM-D700 mic is wired differently even though I have same mic. In any case all ok and Remoterig is fine..no need to return it.

73! :D