Author Topic: Trouble connecting to radio RRC from free wi-fi spots  (Read 27322 times)

K7FD

• View Profile
Anyone have the magical settings to connect from open wi-fi back to their radio RRC's? I am using a laptop and LinkSys WET610N wireless bridge to scan for open wi-fi spots, connecting, then moving Ethernet cable to my control RRC and TS-480SAT.

The only success I have had with this lash up, so far, has been connecting to a 'visitor wi-fi' at my workplace. There I scanned with the wireless bridge, found the wi-fi, entered the password, connected, moved Ethernet cable from laptop to control RRC, and the TS-480SAT immediately connected to the radio RRC when I powered up the Kenwood faceplate.

So I am wondering what the difference is between the wireless wi-fi at my workplace and wireless wi-fi hotspots. I have tried the local library, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc....all without successfully connecting to the radio RRC.

One other note, when connected to the workplace wi-fi I can browse to my DynDNS address and bring up the webpage to see radio RRC settings, no problem. However, when I connect a laptop to Starbucks, McDonalds, etc. I can NOT browse to my DynDNS address. Does this mean these wi-fi hotspots are blocking something?

As Mitch says, there needs to be a 'Networking for Dummies' for guys like me, hi! All replies appreciated...

73 John K7FD

« Last Edit: 2011-07-26, 05:12:50 by K7FD »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Trouble connecting to radio RRC from free wi-fi spots
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-17, 18:16:10 »
John,

Did you first log on onto the service before you disconnected the bridge? Wireless networks
virtually always require you to confirm the terms and conditions on a web page, only after
that point are you given internet access. Connected it to the router alone doesn't work. The
reason is that your WLAN hardware's (in this case the bridge) MAC address is entered into a
table on the Radius server and is authorized access at that point.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-17, 18:55:04 »
Mitch, yes I did log into the Starbucks agreement page before disconnecting the wireless bridge Ethernet cable from laptop and moving it to the control (user) RRC...

Just for a test to make sure I had a good connection from Starbucks, I disabled the wireless NIC in the laptop and changed the laptop Ethernet port back to DHCP after I made connection with the wireless bridge. I then connected the cable coming from the wireless bridge into the laptop Ethernet port and had no problem browsing the internet from Starbucks. So I know the signal on the cable from the wireless bridge was a good one...

So I know I have a good connection to Starbucks wi-fi. But for some reason, the control RRC doesn't like it well enough to connect back to the radio RRC in my ham shack...

BTW, I opted for the wireless bridge because I would like to only use the laptop to scan for wi-fi networks, then put it away. I don't want to have a laptop running once I get things connected. Just the Kenwood, the control RRC, and  wireless bridge...at least that's what I am hoping for...

...because these devices all run off 12 VDC making it easy to power everything in the field. My laptop is 19VDC and the internal batteries never last long...hi.

73 John K7FD

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-17, 19:01:09 »
John,

The problem is likely that the bridge is allowing the device it connects with to use DHCP
to receive an IP number from the wireless router (Radius server). This device's MAC
address is entered into the Radius server. Switching to the RRC, which has a different MAC
address, causes it not to work.

You need to see if you can change the bridge to work in a different (router) mode that in
turn has its own DHCP server and only shows pulls one IP address from the Radius server.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-17, 20:31:03 »
Mitch, I see no settings in the wireless bridge web interface page. I guess it's back to using a laptop to get wireless signal and bridge to internal Ethernet port? I have tried to do this in XP and get nowhere.

If I right click on the wireless connection setting in XP, go to Properties, Advance tab, check 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection' I don't seem to have any signal at the laptop Ethernet port when I have a wireless connection. I plug the control RRC into the laptop Ethernet port and PWR light just blinks green...never goes on steady.

Do I bridge the wireless connection and local Ethernet connection together? If so, then I get a message that says 'To create a Network Bridge, you must select at least two LAN or High Speed Internet connections that are not being used by Internet Connection Sharing'. Pressing OK does nothing.

I am stymied as to how this is supposed to be set up so you can actually bridge the wireless signal received on the laptop over to the Ethernet port on the laptop...so I can plug in the control RRC...

Any help appreciated!

John K7FD

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-17, 23:00:51 »
Hi John,

To bridge the two, you mark them with the control key and the right mouse click to
get the menu to bridge them. I have have very bad experience using XP in
this manner and have given up, since I get too many blue screens. Maybe you will
have better luck.

If you send me the type of bridge you are using, I can download the manual and see
if it is possible to switch to router mode.

That is why I always carry two different kinds of routers and bridges with me:

1) A Netgear WNCE2001: this is a pure bridge, like what you are describing. I use this
in the following manner:
  a) Access wireless networks with encryption, i.e. WPA or WEP. These networks generally
      are private and do not use a Radius server behind them.
  b) Access wireless networks with neither encryption, nor use a Radius server. This is somewhat
      rare here and usually is at private homes where the owner doesn't use encryption.

2) A Linksys WTR54GS: This is a router with ethernet and wireless "outputs", I use it for:
   a) Access wireless networks with no encryption, but do use a radius server. This covers
      most hot spots in the part of Europe I live in or in the case where you must "sign" an agreement.
      It allows you to pay once for the wireless connectivity, but use it among several users or devices.
   b) Access same as 1b above, but only when I want to offer my independent wireless network.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-17, 23:24:08 »
OK Mitch...yes, I've tried marking both wireless and local connection with control key and then right clicking. That's the easy part, hi. Only nothing seems to happen when I set up an internal bridge in the laptop, hi!

The wireless bridge I have is a LinkSys WET610N. Maybe I need to get the second Netgear one you listed. I'll check into it!

John K7FD

W6SA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-18, 00:58:56 »
I also thought all my connection problems were due to blocking at Starbucks, McDonalds, etc.  This was trying with the 1258 connected to my laptop and also when using the PC Client.  It's not them.  It is a setup problem on your end.

I don't know about the method you are using by switching from the laptop to the 1258.  As pointed out the 1258 would not be recognized due to the different MAC address.

I never got the 1258 to work at a hotspot and switched to the PC Client as it required carrying a lot less stuff around.  I went through a lot of aggravation before realizing that I had both Port Forwarding and DMZ active on my router.  Using one or the other solved my problem as I mentioned on another of your posts.  I'm sure it would work now.

It sounds to me like you may be trying to use ICS and Bridging at the same time. It has to be one or the other.  You must disable ICS if you want to use a bridge.  I don't think you can eliminate the laptop for logging in to a free wi-fi hotspot. 

I am running a rather unconvential setup now.  I use the PC Client with my laptop to connect to the 1258 Radio unit for my audio connections and I use LogMeIn to connect to my Shack computer where I have a choice of running DX Lab, Writelog, and HRD.  I don't like HRD although I really like the front panel look for rig control.  I prefer to use FSK for RTTY and I have yet to discover a way to do that with HRD.

The hookup for PC Client also makes it easy for me to quickly connect from my work PC.  Just plug it in fire up the software and go.  They won't let me connect my laptop to the network at my office.

I do have the ability to use HRD over the Internet but then I have no access to the other two programs. I don't have a way to remotely switch serial ports.

Good luck working out all the bugs.

73 de Walt, W6SA

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-18, 03:51:28 »
Thanks for your input, Walt! Sounds like I have a challenge ahead of me trying to get the control RRC to work from a wi-fi hotspot, especially since you've been down that path and decided instead to go with a pc interface to your ham station.

My whole goal is to have the look and feel of being at my station, thus HRD, etc. doesn't float my boat. I'm interested in having the actual TS-480SAT front panel with me wherever I go, something I am hoping the RRC boxes will accomplish. My xyl and I vacation a lot in our RV and it would be nice to park outside a wireless hotspot and connect back to a decent antenna at home vs. the Hustler mobile whip, hi. Many of the RV parks are equipped with wi-fi also, so I'm hoping to find a solution...

73 John K7FD

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-18, 04:01:20 »
Hello,

About 2 years ago I stayed at a place called "Value Place" in Ft. Myers, Florida which is like an "Extended Stay" hotel and was there for a month. I was doing some work, and found I couldn't use Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) from Value Place after I had passed their agreements page. I couldn't use VNC either. But I can browse and check my email. So it is possible many public wi-fi hotspots do block services. I had to use a Verizon USB "dongle" to do my work.

K7FD

• View Profile
I discarded the LinkSys wireless bridge idea and finally figured out how to 'share' the wireless connection with the local Ethernet connection in the laptop. The reason I had trouble getting this to kick into gear was failure to restart computer after enabling sharing. Once I shared and restarted, then laptop Ethernet port was 'hot'.

Next I installed Microbit Setup Manager locally on the laptop. With USB cable from the control RRC to the laptop, I ran Setup Manager and ran the GET button for the Net Info tab to see what DHCP address had been assigned. Once armed with this, I brought up the web browser and managed the control RRC from there (when I'm in the shack here with my local wireless network, I need to change my DynDNS name to the 192.168.1.228 address)...

I was very pleased when the Kenwood TS-480SAT front panel powered up going through the shared wireless to Ethernet connection! At this point, I went back into the control RRC set up and changed the 192.168.1.228 back to my DynDNS name...I was ready for yet another trip into town to find a wireless hotspot!

Since it was almost 9pm, McDonald's was about the only thing open in town (we live in a SMALL town). I pulled the RV in and hooked everything up...Kenwood TS-480SAT front panel, control RRC box, and my laptop. The laptop had no trouble connecting to McDonald's 'attwifi' signal. Next I plugged the Ethernet cable from the control RRC box into the laptop Ethernet port, changing the blinking PWR light to solid and steady! "This is looking better", I thought to myself as I reached for the TS-480SAT power button...

BINGO! On comes the front panel and I'm listening to a QSO on 40 meters! This deserves a chocolate milkshake and side of fries...

73 John K7FD

W6SA

• View Profile
CONGRATULATIONS!   ;D

ws4y

• View Profile
    • Email
I have the same stuff so I was following with great interest. Congratulations!
Bill WS4Y

K7FD

• View Profile
I have been able to successfully connect to Starbucks and McDonald's wi-fi hotspots but when I lose the connection or try a different RRC configuration in the control RRC, then I am unable to reconnect to the wi-fi spot. When I first set up and connect the laptop to the wi-fi (Windows 7 wireless connection/bridge to Ethernet) the control RRC connects and the green PWR LED goes from blinking to steady.

But if I change control RRC configuration and the RRC restarts, then I cannot reconnect to the w-fi. The green PWR LED just continues to blink. I'm wondering how I can 'clear' whatever is keeping me from reconnecting so I can connect back up again. Not an expert here, but maybe the wi-fi thinks I am already connected and won't let me reconnect?

I can come back to same wi-fi hotspot later in the day and it will reconnect...but only after time elapses.

On a side note, I am trying to determine the best settings to minimize jitter and drops...not there yet, hi. Sometimes I can get a super connection with solid streaming, other times it is hit and miss with jitter. I'm beginning to think the w-fi connections are going to be 'iffy' at best due to slow speeds, other laptop connections, etc. Sure wish I had a cable modem at both ends wherever I roamed, hi!

73 John K7FD

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
John,

The next time that happens, call-up a DOS window and type: "ipconfig /release" into it. Then connect
to the wireless network again. I bet this solves your problem.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX