Author Topic: iPhone 4 as Wifi hotspot to access RemoteRig  (Read 6097 times)

K6OI

• View Profile
    • Email
iPhone 4 as Wifi hotspot to access RemoteRig
« on: 2011-08-14, 06:54:11 »
I thought this would work but doesn't. I wanted to use RemoteRig wirelessly by creating a wifi hotspot with my iphone 4 and pairing it with a Netgear WNCE2001 wifi adapter hooked up to RemoteRig. The problem is that the Netgear adapter does not see the iPhone wifi hotspot. It sees my home wifi and all the ones in the neighborhood. Any ideas?

73 Tedd K6OI

K6OI

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: iPhone 4 as Wifi hotspot to access RemoteRig
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-15, 22:02:25 »
Figured out a work-around. Tethered a netbook to IPhone 4 for 3G Internet access. Run "Connectify" on netbook to set up an ad hoc wifi network.  Setup Netgear WNCE2001 with netbook to connect to ad hoc wifi network. Attach Netgear adapter to RRC-control with Ethernet cable. Push ON button on D700 control panel. Kerchunked my local repeater while on vacation. It's all good.

73 Tedd K6OI

KP4TR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-20, 12:43:33 »
I have an older Iphone 3GS with data plan but cannot tether wirelessly because ATT/Apple won't allow it even though it is capable to do it. Only bluetooth and USB. I used it with Windows ICS (Internet Connection SHaring). I found the connection very slow and unusable with Remoterig. Downlink was very fast, but uplink was less than 200Kbps. Tests with Verizon were positive, no issues. This was 6 months ago, need to try when I get the new IPhone that will be announced soon.

I also have Netgear WNCE2001 bridge at home and it works flawlessly.

K6OI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-09-10, 03:56:01 »
It finally works! ;D  But you need to use a Zoom 4506 Travel Router. First configure router with a browser. A little tricky because of the APN info required but Zooms website provide this for an iPhone. Next plug USB iPhone sync cable into router.  Enable iPhone hotspot BUT as a USB connection and not WiFi. Wait for USB light to come on on router. Push on button Ts-480. Audio sounds fine with default settings but I may tweak it later. Previous poster is correct that iPhone tethered to a computer with ICS has too much latency. Now off to burn off some of my 4 gigs of data.

Disclaimer:  This works for a non-jailbreak iPhone running iOS 4.3.4 with a legit data plan with tethering.

Regards

Tedd K6OI