Author Topic: TS-480SAT, hiss in speaker when volume is set to zero  (Read 5989 times)

K7FD

• View Profile
Has anyone else noticed the 'white noise' hiss in the TS-480SAT internal speaker when the volume control on the Kenwood is set to zero? I also notice the same hiss when using the SP jack in the control RRC with my headphones. The hiss seems like it goes down and away as you increase the volume control. It's a little too loud for me when using headphones but not so bothersome when using the speaker...

The RRC Setup Manager cable is unplugged; whether it is in or out makes no difference in the hiss noise...

73 John K7FD

N9CEV

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: TS-480SAT, hiss in speaker when volume is set to zero
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-07, 16:02:47 »
John,

My hearing isn't the best after too many years of listening to CW through phones, but I just plugged my phones into my TS-480SAT and I can't hear any noise when AF gain is at 0.  I also tried it with both AF and RF gain at 0 and still couldn't hear anything.

Ed Sims

Vincent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-08, 11:11:15 »
i noticed the same.
the sound is not loud but you can deffinatly hear a noise coming trough the speaker when the volume is turned to 0

pd0swl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-08, 22:15:52 »
John,

You can try lowering the codec gain on your control-head RRC.
(in the radio settings)

This attenuates residual noise at the expense of some audio volume.
I found the best compromise at around 248 for my IC706.

Paul
PD0PSB

BA7NQ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-09, 02:12:01 »
Has anyone else noticed the 'white noise' hiss in the TS-480SAT internal speaker when the volume control on the Kenwood is set to zero? I also notice the same hiss when using the SP jack in the control RRC with my headphones. The hiss seems like it goes down and away as you increase the volume control. It's a little too loud for me when using headphones but not so bothersome when using the speaker...

The RRC Setup Manager cable is unplugged; whether it is in or out makes no difference in the hiss noise...

73 John K7FD

The same here... It is ts-480 problem, not from RRC, the same problem in TS-590

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-09, 22:17:15 »
I suspected the 480...still it's not enough hissing noise to detract from all the fun I'm having!  :D

73 John K7FD