Author Topic: Which IP adress through wifi client / bridge/ wifi adpators devices ?  (Read 7843 times)

F6FLQ

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello all !

I'm new at wifi network.

I've been purchasing two units to control a TS 480 via wifi only  (radio and control units) but without attached laptops.

My plan is classic i presume :

+main router in the living room :
Orange Live Box  router 192.168.1.1 : DHCP on up to 192.168.1. 50, but fixed private IP assigments to WIFI devices is possible.

+TS480 radio + Radio unit behind a Wifi bridge /client/wifi ethernet adaptator

+TS 480 panel + Control unit behind an other Wifi bridge/Client/wifi ethernet adaptator .

I've got two new linkys units for that.( linksys E1000 with dd-wrt firmware in client or bridge mode)

The trouble :

Which fixed IP and which gateway adress to give to RRC units  in this network  ?

I've discovered that these WIFI units create their own sub network with new Ip class adresses, differents from these the main router use ! !

What is the path from main router to rrc unit ?

The problem is the same with netgear WNCE2001  I suppose : This unit will have its own ip adress but even  You assign it 

in the class of the main router which IP adress to assign to the rrc units ?

Hum...I'm lost  you see.

Thank you in advance for your help.

best regards

Eric

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Eric,

I see that no one answered you yet.

Basically, if you have the routers set to bridge mode, then the end devices will receive their
IP addresses from the main router. The bridge should not have DHCP turned-on. This is how
the WNCE2001 works, and is not how you described it. Check the Linksys boxes to make sure
that they are in bridge mode!

The easiest thing then to do is to let DHCP on the main router provide the internal IP addresses,
then just go into the router and make them fixed. That way, you know that the settings are correct and
that the router knows where they are. I have found that inexperienced people trying to set IP
addresses mess things up 90% of the time. Just keep it simple and you should be ok.

This network stuff can be really confusing and I have seen people give-up and sell their RemoteRig
boxes, since they could never get them working. Just keep cool, and you should get help from
someone.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

F6FLQ

• View Profile
    • Email

Hi Mitch !

Very nice from you !

I thought to simplify my set up and to keep only my Livebox as a main router and 2 WNCE2001 as adaptators within.

But it starts badly :

Then i've just read this on net gear website :

"Known Issues & Bugs:

Can't connect to internet if WNCE2001 connects to Orange Livebox mini (DSL router) directly.
Workaround: Use another router to connect to Livebox mini and let WNCE2001 to connect to this new router, then you can use WNCE2001 to go to internet without any problem.

"

It appears this device don't support WPA2-PSK security mode the livebox uses !

I guess I've no other choice : I'll do have to introduce at least one linksys router I also have got  "in the middle of the road"!

I'll be back when i do further investigations the week-end ( I hope to).

Seen you soon

Eric

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Eric,

That is very strange.....I would try to connect one directly, anyway, just to see if
it works or not. Maybe there is a firmware update for the Orange Livebox that fixes
the problem, or else you can change the Livebox to a different method of encryption,
such as WPA instead of WPA2. I know I wouldn't give up so easily, but I am a masochist
sometimes.  ;)

Either way, I have had good luck with the WNCE2001 so far.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

F6FLQ

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi Mitch !

You was absolutely right !

At first, I've connected the two WINCE2001 units "out of the box", without upgrading the firmware because the comment about Livebox problems is write down about the release !

Then, I've just WIFI paired these two devices with the live box router - left in DHCP mode -, fixed Two  IP adresses in the DHCP range of the router, and put them into each RRC.

all is going well  !

Thank a lot for your help !

best 73

Eric

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Hi Eric,

Glad that all is working ok now! Have fun with remoting and see you on the bands.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX