Author Topic: Local and remote control  (Read 3803 times)

k6ncx

• View Profile
    • Email
Local and remote control
« on: 2016-12-06, 18:49:49 »
I'm contemplating installation in a new motorhome. I'd like to mount an IC-7100 in the back, and put the control head up front. That seems simple enough. But there's more.

I want also to be able, when I have usable internet connection (either over LTE or plugged in somewhere) to be able to control another IC-7100 at home. It's clear to me that either is feasible, but can I do both? Is there a way of readily telling the remote 1258 which radio unit to connect to?

Also, can I remotely control a Powerwerx DB-750?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Local and remote control
« Reply #1 on: 2016-12-06, 21:00:08 »
Do you really need Remoterig to connect from the front to the back of the motorhome? maybe it's a big one.

If you use Remoterig you can setup different profiles to connect to the one in the back or to the one at home. You can then change profile with the CW-knob on front

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-06, 21:44:50 »
I would suggest the following:

1) Use a cable to connect the 7100 control head to the radio inside of the motorhome.

2) Setup an RRC to connect to your other 7100 at home. All you would need to do is to unplug the one cable going into the
control head and plug one in from the RRC as needed.

I do not understand your question about the remote RRC telling which radio to connect to. Assuming that you use a cable, then
there would be no other unit using the rig at your home, although it is no problem for multiple control RRC's to access one radio
RRC, just one at a time.

Mike would have to answer your question about the Powerwerx.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k6ncx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-06, 23:06:51 »
No, I don't need RemoteRig necessarily to connect from the front to the back of the motorhome.  I would, however, need it for controlling the rig at home. So, I might as well also use it to control the rig aboard the motorhome. That would be much preferable to plugging and unplugging cables.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-12-06, 23:10:26 »
I would prefer to unplug and replug cables, rather than spend the $286 for the additional radio RRC
that would be necessary to do that. That is your decision. You would still need to run an ethernet
cable between the two RRC's.

Like Mike wrote, you can use the profile function to switch between up to five destination radio RRC's.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k6ncx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-12-07, 17:51:31 »
I guess I should mention that aside from my own not wanting to plug and unplug (and the attendant concerns about connector failure) there's also the XYL factor. She's not going to accept  any dangling wires.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-12-07, 17:58:20 »
So how do you plan to connect to your RRC in the back? I assume you plan to build a wifi network
in the motorhome. You would then need a MiFi router and then add wifi bridges to each RRC, which
adds even more to the cost. You have an expensive wife!

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX