Author Topic: K3 Data Using CW over RemoteRig?  (Read 5729 times)

w1ve

• View Profile
K3 Data Using CW over RemoteRig?
« on: 2014-05-06, 16:34:11 »
Is this possible?  Tried setting this up on my K3/0 Mini and RRC-1258MkIIs, but no FSK-D of AFSK would work.  When I send the CW, no transmit.

Is anybody doing this?

73, Gerry W1VE

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: K3 Data Using CW over RemoteRig?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-05-06, 18:11:29 »
Gerry,

For digital modes there are two ways to set this up:

1) AFSK and other digital (sound card) modes: just plug the sound card interface into the control RRC's
speaker and mic jack, as if the rig is located at the control location. Assuming a good internet connection,
there should be no problem using it this way.

2) To send FSK: you use the virtual FSK port that is installed when you use the USB cable between the
RRC and computer (after first installing Setup Manager to get the drivers). This method requires the cable
between the K3's ACC port and the RRC's I/O port, which is also used to turn the K3 on.
To receive, use the same method as above for AFSK.

I am not sure what you are asking about sending CW. Are you saying you can't send CW at all? If you
have the outputs and I/O set properly, it should work straight off. Make sure VOX is turned on.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w1ve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-07, 04:08:22 »
Hi Mitch,

The K3 has a built-in Data decoder for receive.  In addition, it has a mode where you can send CW and FSK or AFSK comes out of the radio.  This allows Data-mode operation without a computer.  If I want to make quick, contest-style QSOs, this mode would work good for me.

However, I set up the K3 for this mode, and when I transmit (sending CW in Data mode), the rig does not transmit.

73, Gerry

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-07, 13:00:34 »
Hi Gerry,

I didn't know that anyone actually used that feature, I thought it was more of a gag, or something
you may use when portable. I tried it once with my K3 when I got it a few years back, but never
considered it to be terribly useful. I may find it more useful on my KX3, since that is used only
portable, however I am not normally a data mode user.

I just looked it up in the K3 manual. Sending can not possibly work, since it requires using the K3's
internal keyer. Sending over the RRC uses the key input as an external keyer.

As far as decoding is concerned, I am not home this week and can't try it out for you over the network
until I get a chance this weekend or early next week before I leave for Dayton. Maybe someone else
can check in the meantime. If this doesn't work, it may be documented somewhere on the Elecraft
reflector.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w1ve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-11, 14:19:18 »
OK -- now I understand...

See you at Dayton.

On the way to Dayton, and from the flee market (spaces 1322-1324), and at the Crowne Plaza hotel, we will be operating the special event station K3R  "K3 - Remote", using the
K3/0 Mini remote, over 4G cellular to a station in Vermont.

Look for us on the bands!

73, Gerry

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-05-12, 19:59:55 »
Hi Gerry,

I just tested decoding over the K3/0 at home; it works just fine. If it doesn't work on
your end, double-check the cabling and/or K3 settings.

I will be staying at the Crowne Plaza and will be there most evenings after dinner, so say
hi. During the show, I will be working about half the time at the DARC booth located on the
ARRL Expo. My U.S. cell number is 424-288-9171.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX